Macy's - Varied experiences over the years | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"Varied experiences over the years"

Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Even though Macy's is a big organization, you get a to work in a smaller groups. You do feel part of a closely knit group while being part of a huge organization. Base salary is not great but as you progress in your career you get better benefits. No stock options. You start with 3 weeks PTO and get another week after 5 years with the company. In addition to other benefits, you also get 20% off on All Macy's and Bloomingdale's store merchandise.

Cons

Work environment differs in all family of businesses. It's a crapshoot when you move from one area to another. Different management styles of senior management and your immediate bosses may either ruin your career or enhance it tremendously.

Advice to Management

Make sure that the HR is looking out for the little guy as well.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

"No loyalty or appreciation"

Former Employee - Sales Support in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers. A store discount.

Cons

No loyalty to seasonal staff. (Even the seasonal staff that has worked multiple Christmas seasons.) No communication between too many managers. Executive office staff has no idea what the sales floor managers are doing. The interview process is very unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Be professional. Appreciate the hard work everyone does, even seasonal help. If you have a manager tell an employee "welcome... you are now permanent" - mean it. If you interview a candidate for a position, don't tell them "I have 10 more interviews" over the next week and then send that same candidate a standard e-mail in less than two days saying thanks but no thanks. Don't be so cold.

2. "Fabulous Fun in Fashion"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well organized large company, vibrant work arena, Seasonal participation makes the season bright, moderately flexible schedule and the ability to manipulate the schedule. Training is exciting and positive, coaching is provided. Lots of encouragement from all managers outside of my own, see coaching details in Cons area. Policy is written and available to every employee. Computer access to schedule and other business documents. Direct deposit, charitable contributions encouraged, dinners hosted by each department with proceeds going to our various charities. Macy's is very devoted to their charities.

Cons

Pay is really quite low, however, with longevity one will experience raises and benefits. Flexible scheduling is limited, all associates must be available for all open hours on weekends and key days. This works out to be three out of four weekends worked per month if you know the right tricks, the ins and outs of the scheduling system. Otherwise, you simply work every weekend.

Regarding training, the classes are motivational and really geared me up. My experience on the floor when I arrived at my first day on the sales floor was much different than promised. My training associate said, "Well, there ya go," and I was left alone. I had to ask for the time promised to observe and get my feet wet. I think I saw three or four transactions and was left again. I did survive but I have heard this story from every associate I have asked. This would be a great opportunity for improvement for Macy's. Perhaps it was just that location. Please read my story with a positive outlook. Maybe yo can be the one to create change!

Regarding coaching, this is another opportunity for improvement. It is not the positive reinforcement I thought it was going to be. Rather, it is very depressing and frightening because goals are always set for 10% higher than last year's sales. If the store is down as a whole, I don't understand how to make the numbers. Again, there are lots of people who do. I just prefer to be customer oriented rather than numbers oriented.

Territorial is a good description for sales persons that have been employed a length of time. It can be difficult to get your numbers in this type of arena.