Macy's - Pleasant enough but can be highly competitive. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"Pleasant enough but can be highly competitive."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fairview Heights, IL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fairview Heights, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of available shifts and opportunities for things like Macy's money. The company tries ts best to keep employees happy. The dress code is actually pretty lax and open for self-expression and personal style. There are opportunities in this company, you just have to be willing to stick it out and sometimes smile through certain bad situations.

Cons

Sales are competitive, especially in cosmetics and fragrances. Veteran Sales associates can get territorial about sales and commissions or "spiffs". You're just kind of dropped in on your first day and expected to make the best of it, even when you have no idea about any of the products you're supposed to be selling. Also, pushing the Macy's card constantly is tedious and 99% of the time unsuccessful. Daily goals seem important at first but quickly you learn that they really aren't that focused on goals but how many star reward accounts you open.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

"Wish they had more integrity"

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor/Sales Manager In Training in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor/Sales Manager In Training in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meet Nice People, Got to hang out often after work for drinks with colleagues, Music in the store, Learn how to sell

Cons

Too many meetings... Upper Management lie to get what they want out of you... I had a good store manager when I first started who was very proactive and truly showed me how to lead and coach the macys way... My next store manager was on her way to retirement and would come in around 10am, leave at 5:30pm, and would take one vacation week every month; yet expect me, a new hire as a sales supervisor/manager in training to know the same things as another manager that has been there for 5 years. Would always answer any question with "what do you think the answer is." and if you made the wrong decision, would embarrass you during the daily 3pm turnover meetings. Lies, Lies, Lies... They would teach me how to lie to associates to get what we needed out of them while i was there and would always tell me that I want to see you promoted soon every month, but would never help me get there and when the time came when she didn't need me anymore, told me "this is not the position/company for you." It all really depends on how lucky you are and if you have a great store manager and trainer who are focused on moving you up within the company or just a bunch of big fat liars who want to get what they can out of you and then push you out the door...

Advice to Management

Be more Truthful and up front with people

2. "fun but I saw no future"

Current Employee - Executive Development Program in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Executive Development Program in Providence, RI

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

positive work environment, everyone is encouraged to develop and grow professionally, had a great time getting to know new people

Cons

I did not see myself working on the floor 10 or even 5 years down the road, needed to find the job that fit me better

Advice to Management

be more receptive to location requests during the hiring process