Macy's - Great experience in the industry. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"Great experience in the industry."

Current Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY
Current Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good name to have on resume, actually listen to worker feedback, tries to incorporate suggests as much as possible.

Cons

Lots of upper management have been there for a long time and are afraid to take risks on fashion because "It didn't work 20 years ago". Promotion strategy is unclear, but supervisors give feedback and are willing to talk when asked.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

"You become nothing more than a statistic; a number to be reviewed and a posession of the company."

Current Employee - Loss Prevention in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun customers, unique selling strategy. They teach you the fundamentals of successful customer interactions, which you can utilize for future endeavors. Perfect job for students or those with other primary employment to get a few hours in.

Cons

You are nothing but a number, a statistic. All goals are based upon your performance, and you will be expected to continue to exceed previous preformance. As soon as you stop exceeding that, you will loose your job. They have no problem firing you if you do not exceed expectations.

Also, don't expect to ever be scheduled to the amount of hours they offered! If you are "Full time", that means 32 hours or less. "Part Time" means 12 hours. They expect you to keep your availibility open for most positions, and expect that they will take advantage of that. You may be scheduled to close one night, open the next morning, and work a three hour shift the next day. Very random scheduling, with their only priority being "business needs".

It is next to impossible to advance in this company, unless you relocate. There are around 17 steps on the "Career Path" from Sales Associate to manager, most without pay increase. During three years on the job, zero management positions have become available.

Advice to Management

Go back to the roots of Macy's. Remember that the company was started by a man who didn't think like the rest of the pack, and who went against the grain. We are people, not statistics. We have lives; we are just as important as your customer base. You do not pay your associates enough money to treat them like you own them.

You schedule so randomly that even if your associates need to obtain secondary employment, they can't, because you never give them the same days off! We make miniumum wage, or just slightly more money than that. Many of the people I work with are employed full time, and are on food stamps.

This "Macy's Money" idea of "rewarding" the associates is ridiculous! You are given "Macy's Money" as a way to recognize performance, but it requires you spend as much actual cash as the value of the "Macy's Money" to use it. It's basically a 50% coupon, with a dollar value assigned to it. This is not a reward, it is a way for the company to get you to give back your pay to the company! If you wanted to really reward us, you would give us things, (extra money on our check, or gift certificates/cards) not make us give you money back. What a sham. We all see right through that one!

Change your training program for new hires. Putting someone in to a closet with a training register and no attention is not effective, and does not prepare employees for the selling floor.

2. "Poor Management"

Current Employee - Cosmetic Counter Manager in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Cosmetic Counter Manager in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and decent employee benefits. Opportunities for slight growth if started fresh out of College. Great job if you want something to fill the time and get discounts.

Cons

Not a place to stay in the long term. The management overall is incompetent, the same goes for the Executive HR at my local branch. Treated associates with little respect once assumed there is something negative. Focus on only the negatives. Rarely praise though kept mentioning that giving praises is important for associate's well being.

Advice to Management

Do what you preached. Cancel the model on criticizing base on a Scorecard system (not realistic.)