Macy's - Great store just need more hours | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"Great store just need more hours"

Current Employee - Support Associate in Hoover, AL
Current Employee - Support Associate in Hoover, AL

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a great store and environment

Cons

Not too many hours during seasonal shifts

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

"Good for a part-time summer job, but would not want full time"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Everett, WA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discount (20%) on items is nice and they're good about working with your schedule if you're part-time. I had another job at the time, so they delivered on their promise of only scheduling me for 19 hours each week and only 4 days a week. I liked working in the quiet departments -- women's dresses, men's collections (i.e., the expensive stuff), home furnishings -- because the shoppers were usually more polite.

Cons

Most of the sales associates were full-time and, when it would come up in conversation that I was only part-time/summer, they seemed a bit dismissive. I got the vibe from some of them that it was because I wasn't treating the job like a career -- just a summer job until I went back to college.

When working in a department one day, the other two sales associates were talking about their schedules/lunch breaks. One asked me if I was working an 8-hour shift and, when I said I only had a 4-hour shift that day, she asked in an irritated voice, "Well, can you stay for 8 hours?" Since she had no control over my schedule (and I could only work a certain number of hours), it seemed presumptuous of her to assume that she could just ask me to stay because of her and the other associate's schedules. Later, I heard her complaining to another associate, "Well, *she* [me] is leaving at three" -- as if I couldn't hear her.

Macy's also doesn't assign you to a department when you're new -- you float from department to department where they need coverage. This seems like somewhat of a backward strategy, since you don't have a chance to get comfortable with everything before you get moved to another department. The sale days are also crazy and really tough if you're brand-new.

I worked the kids' department summer sale on my third day and it was insane with all the discounts to plug in and multiple codes to scan for every item. I got a nice comment card from a customer, but I still shudder just thinking about it.

Advice to Management

Give employees who haven't done retail basic tips like, "Regularly check fitting rooms for clothes that need to be rehung." I'd never worked retail (which they knew based on my résumé), but they never went over procedures like that. I also didn't know that the women's dress department sales associate unlocks the front doors of the store in the morning, since no one ever told me. They finally told me when we opened for business -- someone came running over and said I had to unlock the doors. Basically, there's a lack of communication -- at least in this store -- if you're not a full-time employee on the inside track.

"From neophyte to retiree"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people. Team work. Dedication, effort and work recognized.

Cons

Retail schedule. Many varities of schedules. Some difficult people. Times when, only 'yes-men' were the objective of management.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people in the stores. Recognize that the diversity of locales necessitates a variety of plans and merchandise. After all; New York is not California, Ohio is not Florida, Texas is not Virginia. Drop in, without the entorage, meet the real team, see what the Customer REALLY sees. When was the last time you were on point?