Macy's - Decent but sadly they pay too little. | Glassdoor

"Decent but sadly they pay too little."

Current Employee - Retail Sales in Portage, MI

I have been working at Macy's part-time

Pros

They offer 20% employee discount even for items on clearance. Once a month, there's an extra 10% off event too. Managers emphasize making customers open macy's credit card but it's not that stressful and if you open an account, you will get some rewards too. Lots of colleagues have been working for long time like over 20 years. One day I saw one colleague who is 93 years old and someone who's been there... for 39 years.

Cons

They pay too little ($10.15 hourly) and they don't train new people properly. I had to ask every single colleague about each new situations. Plus, I've seen 2 old colleagues (looks like over 70 years old) got fired recently but nobody knows the reason. They must want only young people or people who can be quick enough like young people. Registers are very old school, hopefully they invest some money to... change it or update it. Every time you ring people up, need to put your associate number and password.

Advice to Management

I appreciate that they help us out whether we are busy or not, but not for the sale manager. She never helps out.

Macy's2019-06-23
  1. "Reach for the stars!"

Current Employee - Fine Jewelry Sales Associate in Rincon, GA

I have been working at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Macy's provides schedules that are flexible for employees. The teamwork atmosphere sets Macy's apart from other retail competitors. Macy's also offers perks and incentives for all employees. Macy's also loves to acknowledge their employees for a job well done.

Cons

The only con from my experience is when stores are not in peak season, customer interaction slows down considerably.

Advice to Management

My advice to Management is to keep doing what you're doing. Management is very good at providing a fun energized environment for all employees.

Macy's2019-01-24
  2. "It was fine for part-time"

Former Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser in Escondido, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy job and lively people

Cons

Really early, not a lot of advancements

Macy's2019-09-17

Discover more reviews about Macy's.