Macy's - Diverse place to work with great career potential | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"Diverse place to work with great career potential"

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor
Current Employee - Sales Supervisor

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

opportunity to advance, diverse, good benefits and pay for retail

Cons

changes fast, older associates don't adjust well, hire more FT and less PT5 or flex associates so they are more invested.

Advice to Management

reduce the competitiveness with associate scorecards and hire more FT and less PT5 or flex associates so they are more invested.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

1. "not responsive to associates"

Pros

they used to have a good retirement

Cons

management is very stubborn and unresponsive

Advice to Management

treat your employees better. listen to them!

"6+ years full time women's shoe sales"

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good commission paycheck during the "good times" (xmas, and spring). Opportunity to change departments if positions are available and at my store they do interview in store for management opportunities for the right people. Benefits and 401k are available. After time, earned paid time off that is easy to get--simply log on at home or at work, pick the days you want PTO, and it is done. You don't even have to ask or write a note, your time off is accepted in the system, barring special sales days but there is enough open time to choose from. 20 percent discount for employees.

Cons

Low and unpredictable paycheck due to commission pay during the off season period in my region. The company expects you to open so many credit accounts but they pay you for accounts with coupons! (though the occasional 3 bucks does come up as a reward). This does not pay my bills and does not make the stress worth it to open them. If I am going to get hounded to open credit accounts, pay me real money not "Macys Money" (in store employee exclusive coupons) and I'll put much more effort into it. Managers here largely do not work. They pace around and ask employees if they have opened a credit account (called a "loyalty") every half hour. They generally do not help out, and do not understand what is going on on the floor, though there are exceptions. For example, one manager we called the escalator manager because that's all that person did, is ride the escalators all day, it seemed. Person did not contribute, much like a lot of Macys managers. But again, there are some good ones.

Advice to Management

Stop talking and start doing. Lead by example, not by word of mouth and catch phrases as you pass by.