Macy's - Great! | Glassdoor

"Great!"

Current Employee - Visual Manager in Miami, FL
Current Employee - Visual Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work, life, balance is very present

Cons

Shortage of hands for workload

Advice to Management

More hours for the workload

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

1. "I received 2 positive customer feedbacks from the Store Manager, loved it!"

Former Contractor - Sales Consultant in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Contractor - Sales Consultant in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Macy's as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're customer service-oriented, this will be the job for you. I love helping customer find what they want to buy in the store

Cons

I don't appreciate how immature some of the commission salespeople can be. For example, I was a temp Sales Consultant...certain people would make rude comments about 'stealing customers' or 'making more money than them...' Can't we all just get along?

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on your Commissioned employees, some of them are just down-right rude to new people on the sales floor

"Unprepared for real retail work"

Former Employee - Holiday Retail Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Holiday Retail Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They seem to hire just about everyone over the holiday season.

Offer permanent positions to seasonal employees who perform well.

Pay was slightly above minimum wage.

You can pick your own schedule, assuming there's time slots available (and employees who have worked there longer get first pick).

Ladies in the Intimate Apparel department are very nice and helpful towards new employees.

Cons

Extremely irate customers on a regular basis.

Training only covered how to make customers buy more merchandise, didn't cover even 1/4 of the cash register functions, how to put a hold on an item in another store, and a lot of other customer service and procedure situations.

No specific department focus, and you can be asked to cover someone in a different department, which makes it REALLY difficult when customers come in asking for advice in, say, the outerwear section, when you're used to working in the socks/hats/bags section. Then the customers get really angry that you're not an expert on every single product in the store, even when it's your first day on the job.

Sometimes there are no shifts available.

Absurdly long holiday hours (store was open for two days straight in 2012, meaning people had to be there from 12 am to 8 am by themselves, when presumably almost no one was shopping).

Advice to Management

More practical training (or job shadowing), less focus on "how can we coerce customers into buying things they don't want".