Macy's - Great place for high school/college students, but base pay isn't enough to live off. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"Great place for high school/college students, but base pay isn't enough to live off."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Fun place to work. Great sales, so it's easy to create a clientele.

Cons

No incentives to work hard. You start off making minimum wage (plu comission), and there's no opportunity for a rasie in that base pay. Most companies will give you a percentage per quarter/year if your sales numbers are up to par or exceeding goals. Macy's doesn't.

Advice to Management

Offer incentives like percentage raises per quarter, etc. to employers if you actually want to see them do a great job with their tasks. Also, maybe not have so many sales. Sales bring in customers, but it gives them the idea that your store and the merchandise is cheap if everything is constantly on sale. Maybe you could pay employees more if they're weren't so many sales.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

1. "As a first job, it was helpful in learning customer service and management."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wayne, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wayne, NJ

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned great customer service skills and met some wonderful people that I'm still friends with today. The associate discount was a huge benefit of working there because I got such great deals on clothes, shoes, and accessories.

It was a decent job to have as my first job because it was flexible with my school schedule. It also didn't require too much out of me while concentrating on school.

Cons

Not having a consistent schedule always bothered me because I wouldn't know my schedule until a week or two before. Sometimes they would get my hours wrong and it would coincide with when I had classes so I would always have to go to my manager to fix it. And working during the holiday season is the worst because the customers are more likely to be irritable and take it out on the sales associates. The hours during the holiday season is longer and later... I remember working till 2am on some nights.

The work environment was usually chaotic and not very organized all the time. And I didn't like how the on-call sales associates would always ring up for their sales goal rather than the full-time and part-time sales associates first.

2. "Overall Good"

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extensive experience in all loss prevention job functions.

Cons

Not enough opportunities for promotion.

Advice to Management

Management needs to focus on having LPM receive certifications.