Macy's - As a first job, it was helpful in learning customer service and management. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"As a first job, it was helpful in learning customer service and management."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wayne, NJ
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wayne, NJ

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned great customer service skills and met some wonderful people that I'm still friends with today. The associate discount was a huge benefit of working there because I got such great deals on clothes, shoes, and accessories.

It was a decent job to have as my first job because it was flexible with my school schedule. It also didn't require too much out of me while concentrating on school.

Cons

Not having a consistent schedule always bothered me because I wouldn't know my schedule until a week or two before. Sometimes they would get my hours wrong and it would coincide with when I had classes so I would always have to go to my manager to fix it. And working during the holiday season is the worst because the customers are more likely to be irritable and take it out on the sales associates. The hours during the holiday season is longer and later... I remember working till 2am on some nights.

The work environment was usually chaotic and not very organized all the time. And I didn't like how the on-call sales associates would always ring up for their sales goal rather than the full-time and part-time sales associates first.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

1. "I just did training so far but everyone is nice and very helpful. I have no complaints."

Current Employee - Director in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They give insurance for possible accidental death at work. Of course Macy's is a safe place to work, but such as a fire or things like that you have insurance which is actually a plus to me. I have never worked anywhere that does that and it's cool. Even though I don't believe it'll be used, but it's nice to know they provide this.

Cons

Like I said I love it so far, but you have to either have a prepaid card for a employee discount or their credit card. I think it'd be easier to just swipe your own card put in manager number and receive your employee discount.

"Terrible job..."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Flushing, NY

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

The most important reason because they have flexible schedule.

Cons

Lower salary, no benefit, terrible work environment. Never give chance to expressing yourself.