Macy's - Great employee discounts | Glassdoor

"Great employee discounts"

Current Employee - Administrative Support Team Associate in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Administrative Support Team Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discounts are great especially when you are first hired. You also have opportunity to meet great people in all walks of life. Good starting wages. Employees are appreciated instantly and constantly if they delivered great service.

Cons

May have to work late if scheduled for closing or on weekends.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

"Typical Retail Experience"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time

Pros

It's pretty much what you would expect from Macy's. They push you to push loyalties and different programs. But you don't just get nothing for it. For every person you get to sign up for a Macy's card you are given $3.00 and for everyone who applies and gets rejected you get $1.00. You also get a percentage of the total amount of the value shoplifted items if you make the call to LP and help stop them. I've seen a lot of people complain about the pay but i think it's actually pretty descent for a retail job. Mine is $1.50 above minimum wage. Not that's enough to live on. But if you were working part-time as a student or wanted to work there for a second job it would be sufficient. Macy's is one of my part time jobs. I wanted to work here because I don't have much responsibility and in comparison to my other job, it is a relief to not have to care 110%. It's easy. You just have to know a few things about the register and now all about your department and be nice. chill, get paid.
    But Macy's does tend to hire from within a lot. So a lot of people have moved up in the company. My store manager was hired seasonally and worked her way up from that.
    *A lot of associates don't know this, but there are day's when your associate discount doubles. You can go on insight and it has an employee discount calender. Yay!

Cons

I've worked with some really nice people but some co-workers are flat out rude. But I don't blame them. Working retail is hard because some people don't understand the demands of the job. And at Macy's the demand for lower prices from customers is a little much. Macy's has signs on certain items that say 20% off. But the discount only goes to Macy's card holders. So when something says 20% off and the person doesn't get it but doesn't want to apply for a card they just get mad and complain.
    I've had more demanding customers here then anywhere else. Women have asked me to pull out chairs for them. Help them put on earrings, blouses. The list goes on. I once had a woman tell me "What has happened to Macy's! People like you who are incapable of doing their job are ruining America." She said this because I didn't have a gift box in the size she preferred. So I had to go over to another register in a nearby department and grab one...rude. But some customers are super nice, like anywhere.
    Macy's management tells you to try and greet every customer. But some people do not want to be greeted. Some people simply want to shop alone. I asked a woman "Hello there! May I help you find something in particular?" and she got mad at me for asking her. Her response was "I can find it myself. Can you find something else to do?" Perhaps she was having a bad day.

Advice to Management

*More training for newbs. I was just thrown in and I felt really lost sometimes. But it is a learn as you. It would be neat if there was a team of people there to help guide new people. I had one day of training. On my second day I had to close for a department by myself.

2. "Good and bad"

Former Employee - Women's Shoes in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Women's Shoes in Houston, TX

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are amazing, the pay is good

Cons

Some of the managers are rude