Macy's - Great Environment to Work at | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"Great Environment to Work at"

Current Employee - Personnel in Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Personnel in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment to work at.

Cons

hard to advance since there are hundreds of employee competing for the same positions.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

1. "A fun and friendly job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Macys is a good place to start your retail career. They constantly have classes to improve the way they approach the customer and relate to them it's a friendly place to work with an opportunity for advancement.

Cons

As a sales associate the only con is they have selling goals you try to make.they don't emphasize the goal being the most important......it's how you treat the customer...but you still want to make the goal.

Advice to Management

Make it a group goal, not an individual goal. This way the associates will work as a team, not an individual.

2. "Not So Bad but Not Great Either"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Franklin, TN

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive Environment. Flexible Schedule; learn how use the system to your advantage and you can enjoy time off when it's not the holidays. One of the best employee discounts on merchandise I know about; I probably spent most of my money there when I wanted clothes or other items. The wage you earn, is the wage you keep. Work hard during the calendar year and you'll a get raise. No paycuts if you don't meet your goals.

Cons

If you're not a competitive person and prefer to work a job where your co-workers actually work more as a team, this job isn't for you. I would've liked to have had some formal training before working on the sale floor. There is room to advance but it's hidden well and I'm sure it's political.

Advice to Management

Train associates before letting them work so they understand the basics of selling products. Communication between managers and associates must improve. The trust level between the two was very low where I worked. Make career opportunities more known those that want to stay with the company for a long time.