Macy's - There is a better way to make magic happen! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"There is a better way to make magic happen!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*I love the macy's customers and my fellow employees.
*The store discount is a nice benefit.
*You are able to pick up extra shifts, trade, or give away shifts.

Cons

*It would be nice to be educated about upcoming sales and promotions through in-site.
*Before hiring new employees, please ask existing employees if they would like to increase their weekly work hours.
*I was told to ask every customer to open a new macy's charge account, and not to give up until they say no three times. I find this morally reprehensible. The interest rates are extremely high, and each time you apply for a credit card it affects your credit rating. The 20% discount that new applicants receive on purchases for the first two days is limited to $100, but customers are encouraged to buy, buy, buy!
*You are led to believe that you can earn a nice hourly wage with the commission program set in place. Whenever you do make a little extra, you are given hours during slow periods (when there are no store-wide sales going on), or the sales floor is flooded with sales staff that are left to compete and fight over customers and sales. You go into deficit when you cannot cover your draw, and that has to be paid off before you can earn commission again. It is very disheartening to start a shift and see that you are already minus 60% of your sales goal because of returns (which typically happens after every big sale).
*We are constantly being given more work, but there is never enough time to finish it all.
*Managers approach sales people on the floor, in front of customers and other employees, to discuss their scorecard, and remind us to sell more, and push new credit applications.

Advice to Management

Cut out commissions, and pay a fair hourly wage to your employees. This would give us the ability to give all customers the "magic" experience they truly deserve.

Training and advice should be conducted in a private area.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

1. "Commercial Real Estate Firm"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Macy's as a contractor

Pros

Great work-life balance for women with children & families. Compensation is a little below portland market due to smaller boutique firm.

Cons

Property Management portfolio's spread the staff too thin to effectively service their clients at times.

Advice to Management

None to be shared, thank you.

2. "Best company I have worked for"

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company cares about it's associates, sales training is awesome, tons of opportunity for advancement. With over 800 stores, a lot of opportunity to transfer.

Cons

Wages could be better, especially for sales and support, lack of staff can be stressful, workload sometimes too much, on the job training (other than sales) could use some improvement,

Advice to Management

Follow up with what you say you will do, keep making connections with the employees