Macy's - The MAGIC of Macy's...but really we have a solid customer base and don't really care about our customer service. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"The MAGIC of Macy's...but really we have a solid customer base and don't really care about our customer service."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tysons Corner, VA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The one pro is that I did have a decent manager when I worked in my home section. You could also pick up shifts in other areas, but I never had a good experience with that.

Cons

All sales associates have sales goals, fine ok. However they usually pair you up on a register and if you're working with someone who really takes their goal beyond serious then you will never sell a single dollar worth of merchandise. They also don't want to do anything about sales associates that are like that, which made it very difficult. They cared less about customer service and more about you making your goal.

One day I was working down in men's, they had me switch departments for my last 30 minutes of my shift. The lady they put me with was terrible and shoved me in the fitting room. So I did and when I was in there I realized there were hundreds of pins on the floor from the men's shirts. When I finally saw the manager again I asked if there was anything I could do as I didn't want someone to step on them...or you know people with children going in there. She told me it was not my problem and to go back to work.

Another big issue with me was my schedule. They have you put in your availability and preferred hours. I really just wanted to work Saturdays and in my interview I said I wanted to work around 10 hours/week. That was fine when they hired me but I kept getting pressure to take on more hours...Anyways they system would put out the schedule and then someone would go in and manually add hours during my normal work hours at my other job!

I have about a thousand more complaints about working there during my three month time. But those are the major ones. I use to work for JCP during college and believe me they are far more customer service orientated than Macys will probably ever be. And I worked with a lot nicer people!

Advice to Management

Become more customer service orientated. Have it be more important to get a genuine thank you from a customer than meeting a sales or credit goal, I bet you'd actually see an increase in sales.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

"Marginal employee treatment"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay every week. Easy job to get if you're desperate. Supportive staff for newcomers with questions.

Cons

Low wages. Exploitative scheduling system misrepresented as being worker friendly. They will avoid any full time commitment to you (benefits, etc,) but ask you to black out "key days" where you may or may not have to work. You usually do, but you wind up meeting their part time commitment with a full time dedication to Macy's. Tough if you need to have a second job. They do not care about your life outside the store, and department managers are not empowered to make meaningful changes to accommodate schedules. Poor communication from higher-ups. Understaffed departments with associates put in difficult to impossible situations. A deeply-embedded culture of blame-shifting where all problems, invariably, wind up in the laps of the lowest tier of workers. Customers constantly complain there aren't enough staff, management's response is more platitudes about associates "trying harder". No matter ho hard you try, you can't physically be in two places at once in a department (e.g ringing a line of customers while going back to get shoes for another line). Absurd coupon system the customers hate (though they keep coming back) that puts you in direct conflict with the majority of people you have to ring out. There's an endless list of exclusions to the coupons you have to explain to people, and bear the brunt of their hostility. The much-vaunted employee discount is, obviously, just a means for them to recoup their losses in hiring you. Most rewards for outstanding achievement in the workplace are simply coupons for money off items at Macy's. If you like being abused by customers, jerked around by a no-account computer schedule, not supported by a management that is populated by people who do little but walk around in circles telling people to get back to work in a store where your accomplishments are not rewarded with raises, but with opportunities to spend your paycheck in the store, this is the job for you!

Advice to Management

If you care about attrition (you don't), get rid of the scheduling system and try to work with your employees. Understand that if you hire part time workers, you get a part-time commitment in return.

"The "future" Macy's ...go into it with no illusions"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The technology is terrific, gives them a real advantage vs. competitors. The product mix is a 4 on a scale of 1-5 for their target customer. Marketing powerful. Pretty much strong points operational or content related.

Cons

Macys has been very smart at exploiting the current economic climate. Low wages, no real investment in training other than online "POS" training. Claim they are "driven by customer service" but really only 4 out of 10 customers really are assisted in their shopping experience but Macy's communicates as though it is paramount to them. Credit is a major priority which I get but standing at the POS is pretty much an assuredly of success in the Macy's scorecard. Some smart people decided a while ago that if you pay associates next to nothing, reward them for credit (involves getting mostly Macy's money which must be spent on Macy's merchandise and can only be counted toward 1/2 the purchase) and virtually disengage from any associate coaching or development the high turnover rate can be rationalized.

Advice to Management

Start valuing experience and selling expertise and challenge associates to engage customers beyond the 4 feet of space by the POS. Encourage "excellence" rather than just "phoning in" your performance. No one ever gets fired because there are no constant expectations. Macy's would never pay unemployment because it's all about ROI, return on investment not people. New recruits are academically qualified by without a nurturing attitude toward incoming recruits they leave after 1 or 2 years and the organization never benefits from growth and learning. But the company would say they are have an excellent growth strategy and ofcourse EXCELLENT customer service.