Macy's - The MAGIC of Macy's...but really we have a solid customer base and don't really care about our customer service. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"The MAGIC of Macy's...but really we have a solid customer base and don't really care about our customer service."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tysons Corner, VA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The one pro is that I did have a decent manager when I worked in my home section. You could also pick up shifts in other areas, but I never had a good experience with that.

Cons

All sales associates have sales goals, fine ok. However they usually pair you up on a register and if you're working with someone who really takes their goal beyond serious then you will never sell a single dollar worth of merchandise. They also don't want to do anything about sales associates that are like that, which made it very difficult. They cared less about customer service and more about you making your goal.

One day I was working down in men's, they had me switch departments for my last 30 minutes of my shift. The lady they put me with was terrible and shoved me in the fitting room. So I did and when I was in there I realized there were hundreds of pins on the floor from the men's shirts. When I finally saw the manager again I asked if there was anything I could do as I didn't want someone to step on them...or you know people with children going in there. She told me it was not my problem and to go back to work.

Another big issue with me was my schedule. They have you put in your availability and preferred hours. I really just wanted to work Saturdays and in my interview I said I wanted to work around 10 hours/week. That was fine when they hired me but I kept getting pressure to take on more hours...Anyways they system would put out the schedule and then someone would go in and manually add hours during my normal work hours at my other job!

I have about a thousand more complaints about working there during my three month time. But those are the major ones. I use to work for JCP during college and believe me they are far more customer service orientated than Macys will probably ever be. And I worked with a lot nicer people!

Advice to Management

Become more customer service orientated. Have it be more important to get a genuine thank you from a customer than meeting a sales or credit goal, I bet you'd actually see an increase in sales.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

"just okay"

Current Employee - AST Associate in City of Industry, CA
    Current Employee - AST Associate in City of Industry, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-the discount
    -being able to be fashionable in the workplace

Cons

the hours suck. i have 3 hour shifts and i hate it. i come in for 3 hours and only do 1 hour worth of work. i also dont have my own desk/work area. the executive office is too hectic for my liking

"Over worked, under paid"

Current Employee - Manager in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Manager in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co workers And friendships

Cons

Lack of staff to provide service required

Advice to Management

Stop accounting to the share holders, the customer is whi makes you money