Macy's - Very little regard for associates | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"Very little regard for associates"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Nashville, TN
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Nashville, TN

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Depending on your department, you may have amazing coworkers

Cons

Working full time hours for part time status, employee discount is on company credit card, only thing that matters are your sales numbers.

Advice to Management

Are you a hard worker who likes to be on the floor helping customers and contributing to the department sales goal by NOT planting yourself at a register? Then go find somewhere else to work. seriously. If you aren't making you individual numbers, then no matter how hard you work, you are in their sights to get rid of. I worked with great people, but company policy is horrendous towards those who make it run.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

1. "A case study in the decline of Brick and Mortar Retailing."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Nanuet, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Nanuet, NY

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Macy's is an established brand that caters to nice quiet middle class people. It's flagship store is a marvel, almost a city unto itself. You won't hear about people engaged in fistfights on black Friday in Macy's and they have at least attempted to keep up with technology by allowing customers to check prices with scanners, order merchandise at the register to be sent from the warehouse, and training each employee using a self guided computer based instruction. And what can you say about an organization that entertains the whole country on Thanksgiving day and the Forth of July except to to it is an institution, one that we all fervently hope won't disappear.

Cons

Macy's management wants a hell of a lot for that $7.75 starting pay. Employees are constantly being tugged between interacting with the clients (called guests, like at Disneyworld), folding the merchandise and returning it to the rack or hangar, and ringing up sales at the register. As an employee, I always felt as though management was always trying to second guess me: If I was talking to customers, my manager would tell me there were clothes than needed folding. If I was folding clothes, I was told to go right to the register and start ringing up sales.If I was ringing up sales, I was asked why wasn't I helping those customers. A Sales Associate was expected to get customers to apply for a Macy's car and overcome objections, which in these times of economic woe is rather insensitive. There are quotas for credit cards.Sales Associates are expected to meet these too, all in order to earn $7.75. Macy's is insidiously stealing all of the holidays away from the employees, who are expected to work all night and overtime on Black Friday and in exchange get some meager bonus money. Thanksgiving should be considered a special day, a sacred American Holiday for families and it is just plain wrong for Macy's to steal this holiday away from the employees and yes, the customers too. Macy's should follow the lead of PC Richards and tell the Customers that they will give all the special sales during normal hours and let the customers and employees spend time with family.

Advice to Management

My advice is to treat the employees in a more respectful way, offer them periodic raises for good performance, end the quota system and understand that not everyone in the whole world should have a credit card.

"Credits"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

most co-workers were great - ability to earn more with spiffs

Cons

constant pressure to open credit card accounts