Macy's - The Worst Place I Ever Worked!! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"The Worst Place I Ever Worked!!"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Oak Brook Mall Branch, IL
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Oak Brook Mall Branch, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The discounts and sales were good, but still not worth it

Cons

As a college graduate, and successful business person for over 30 years in various levels of management, I can say without a doubt, Macy's is the most poorly run companies I have ever been around. Most of the management is outright disrespectful to most who work there. I started in what I thought would be fun, as a seasonal employee and kept on for another 3 years, part time.Mind you, I never was asked to stay, but simply kept being put on the schedule.I am a very hard worker, but nothing was good enough.Standing at a cash register literally non-stop for a sold 3 hours was exhausting, but the worst part was when there was a slight break, a manager would come out of no where and "order" the sales people around. It was so disrespectful, and never a team effort whereby management would help.The store manager was errogant, unapproachable, and never smiled.Theory was to not give in to the customer, unless they were insistant. In addition, the store is filthy-floors consistantly dirty, and rugs rarely vacuumed.In the Marshall Field days, porters would come in nightly and buff and polish the floors. I only stayed on because I truly enjoyed working with the customers.

Advice to Management

Use some respect and teamwork-doing so will get you employees that will bend over backwards to do the job at 150%

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

1. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*You have the flexibility to pick up extra hours.
    *If you need to start a career in customer service great company to learn how to deal with customers
    *Friendly atmosphere.
    *Great incentives (did alot of shopping with my Macy's Bucks.

Cons

*If you can't stand on your feet all day not the job for you.
    *Career advancement doesn't seem realistic within a year.

Advice to Management

There should be a realistic guide to career advancement to employees.

2. "A fun and dynamic work environment"

Current Employee - Holiday SSA in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Holiday SSA in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount, friendly associates, stellar management team and great training.

Cons

Hours can be varied and not fit a regular 9-5 schedule, but the managers are very accommodating to scheduling needs. Also, seasoned sales associates may seem very territorial regarding sales and opening new credit accounts.

Advice to Management

More careful review of seasonal hires, also pairing up new hires with a seasoned associate that is willing to provide guidance and foster a positive learning environment.