Macy's - go anywhere else | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

"go anywhere else"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Lake Grove, NY
Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Lake Grove, NY

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only reason to work there is for the discount

Cons

Erratic hours. No idea of schedule from week to week. Customer interaction and reliability had no bearing on review. The only thing that management cares about is how many charges you open. The fact that you may work in a dept. that only elderly customers shop in and they already have a charge is not taken into account. The fact that customers constantly praise you to your manager will not get you a higher raise. Pay is only eight dollars an hour. The new my client policy is absolutely ridiculous considering that many employees are only promised eight hours a week. Store constantly being run short staffed.

Advice to Management

A regular schedule would be nice. Employees have lives. Since you expect us to dress well, have product knowledge, take responsibility for the selling floor, I think the pay should be higher than the local grocer. Quite frankly, I have never been treated this badly before in my life. Realize that at some point, after attaining a loyal customer base, you will not have many people opening charges as they would have one if they wanted one. I sometimes feel that we are harassing the customer. You should really treat your employees better. Believe it or not I am your target customer. I live in a family where the income is twice the national average and I have dependent children. Many of my co workers are in the same position, yet we get treated like crap. When I quit the place. (Which can happen at any time since I don't depend on this crappy salary), I will not be shopping there ever again.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

1. "Overall good experience, good management team and got to make my own schedule."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fresno, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours you get to make your own schedule. You are able to work in any department as long as it's not commission.

Cons

High sales goal you have to be careful with other associates stealing your sales.

2. "Very rewarding"

Current Employee - Fine Jewelry Sales Associate in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Fine Jewelry Sales Associate in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work hours are very flexible and managers are understanding with students. Customers are great and there's a lot of passion behind executives and employees for the Macy's culture.

Cons

The sales aren't as high as in major cities. Hence, commission isn't too great. There are times when the sales floor gets really boring without traffic.

Advice to Management

Try motivating employees through a positive approach, not just meeting quotas.