Macy's - go anywhere else | Glassdoor

"go anywhere else"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Lake Grove, NY
Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Lake Grove, NY

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only reason to work there is for the discount

Cons

Erratic hours. No idea of schedule from week to week. Customer interaction and reliability had no bearing on review. The only thing that management cares about is how many charges you open. The fact that you may work in a dept. that only elderly customers shop in and they already have a charge is not taken into account. The fact that customers constantly praise you to your manager will not get you a higher raise. Pay is only eight dollars an hour. The new my client policy is absolutely ridiculous considering that many employees are only promised eight hours a week. Store constantly being run short staffed.

Advice to Management

A regular schedule would be nice. Employees have lives. Since you expect us to dress well, have product knowledge, take responsibility for the selling floor, I think the pay should be higher than the local grocer. Quite frankly, I have never been treated this badly before in my life. Realize that at some point, after attaining a loyal customer base, you will not have many people opening charges as they would have one if they wanted one. I sometimes feel that we are harassing the customer. You should really treat your employees better. Believe it or not I am your target customer. I live in a family where the income is twice the national average and I have dependent children. Many of my co workers are in the same position, yet we get treated like crap. When I quit the place. (Which can happen at any time since I don't depend on this crappy salary), I will not be shopping there ever again.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

"100% AWFUL STAY FAR FAR AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor Estee Lauder in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor Estee Lauder in Columbus, OH

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There were nice co-workers in my department.

Cons

My counter manager, the store manager, the hours, the pay, the conditions. The environment at Macy's is disgusting. Beware young people and elderly or you will be "tricked into opening a credit card". Pay very very close attention to the words used by the person ringing up your sale at the register when they ask if you want to open a credit card. DO NOT DO IT. DO NOT HAVE THEM " LOOK UP " your Macy's credit card for you, they will try and run a new credit card for you!!! My Counter manager used our area managers password to change the schedule without telling anyone(not her job to do so). The hours are obscene, working until 11pm midnight, 2 am, please. The upper management, at least in the columbus area is without a doubt the most underhanded,meanest, double-dealing, ignorant group of people let alone management I have ever seen in my life.They take great pleasure in talking down to people and treating them as second class citizens. Stay as far away from this company as you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Try or pretend that you care a tiny bit about the people that work for you.

2. "You reap what you sow"

Former Employee - Women's Shoes Sales Associate in Short Hills, NJ
    Former Employee - Women's Shoes Sales Associate in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount, Long breaks, 6 to 8 hour shifts

Cons

No growth or development. No raises. No opportunities.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and work on making employees happier.