Macy's - Underappreciated | Glassdoor

"Underappreciated"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Waterford, CT
Former Employee - Sales Manager in Waterford, CT

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts, the associates who work there are nice

Cons

Upper management...no appreciation for the job done. Constantly adding new things to do, not enough time to get them done.

Advice to Management

Start taking better care of your managers or you will continue to lose good people.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

1. "Early morning, and hard work most of the day, then tedious work."

Former Employee - Support Associate in Merritt Island, FL
    Former Employee - Support Associate in Merritt Island, FL

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are a strong person that enjoys moving heavy boxes constantly, then this is a good place for you. Also liking tedious clothes organization and plastic ripping is a plus.

Cons

Be prepared to make it to work by 6:00am.

The managers will constantly ask for more days to work, this may be a plus for some.

Sometimes you will only work 1 day in the week. Other times it will be 3-4 trucks in a row. Which hurts. This inconsistent work schedule is a VERY important detail. You are NOT guaranteed hours. If you are relying on this job to pay for something important like rent, find another part time job to make sure you have the time. But even that is bad advice because sometimes you'll have too much work at Macy's, then you'll have to have another flexible enough other job to tell them when you're busy, sometimes with just one days notice. Basically you can't have a predictable life with this job position. I saw a guy who had a kid, Macy's hired him, and they didn't schedule one day for him for a whole month straight.

If there is a particularly heavy truck, you'll be lucky to have enough help to move it all in time. I think I moved a truck in 7 hours once? I don't know for sure, but you need to zone out just enough to be able to constantly lift and cut boxes, but not too much to cut your hand, or put boxes in the wrong area.

The Support Team employees were very nice where I worked, but when I came in contact with, or had to help a Sales Associate, they didn't care much about me because there is a high turnover rate for Support Associates.

The Support Associates who work night shifts get it good. They just tear plastic, and sometimes help Sales Associates. If you absolutely have to work here. Ask for night shift only. You leave by closing time anyways, so it's not too late.

Advice to Management

Pay the Support team at least $9.50/hour. I think $10.00 is the real worth for this job. I've built Tiki Bars for $10/hr, and sometimes I had wished I was doing that instead of moving a truck. If no raised pay, have 1 or 2 more associates help every truck day.

2. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate In Macy's in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate In Macy's in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy job to get and perform with very flexible hours. Managers are good to work for and care about their people if you are doing your job. Sales Systems are easy to use.

Cons

Low pay, Communications is lacking for some area. Expectations for Sales Goals, Credit Cards and MyClients are hard to reach with little short term or long term benefits.

Advice to Management

Keep asking and listening to employee suggestions.