Macy's - Minimum wage is not enough. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"Minimum wage is not enough."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bronx, NY
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, really no reason to ever have to call out. Nice incentives for Rewards recruiting, such as Macys money. In my personal experience, I encountered a number of friendly people and wonderful co-workers. Also, there are a few really good managers.

Cons

The store I worked for was grossly understaffed. You have to jump through too many hoops for the employee discount, including having to sign up for Macy's credit card. In my personal experience, I encountered a few people in managerial positions who seemed to be unhappy with their lot in life and took it out on their employees. On two occasions, I had to explain to one of my managers that while- as an employee- I would preform whatever tasks he asked of me, I would not tolerate being spoken to in a disrespectful manner. He responded, "Go tell someone who cares." Completely childish. The higher-ups are no better. When I complained to someone I thought would care, I was told that I was only allowed to complain if I hadn't done anything wrong. Being as I was fairly new to working retail, I was bound to make mistakes and according to the store manager, I was therefore deserving of the degradation my supervisor desired to dish out. That non-sensible notion in mind, I put in my two weeks notice and sought employment that did not support that same lack of professionalism.

Advice to Management

Bare in mind that giving respect often leads to getting it. It is possible to remain an authoritative figure and give out tasks without degrading your employees. If you insists on treating your staff as sub-human, you should definitely increase their salaries. As it stands, you do not pay enough to tolerate such mistreatment.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

"Retail sucks"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Downey, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Downey, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

employee discount, flexible schedule, okay starting pay and increase on a regular basis, opportunities to advance.

Cons

clothes everywhere, little recognitions, employees can be annoying depending the department you're in. For example, I was in the juniors department, one of the busiest in store due to everyone trying to dress young and trendy. Well since it's the most busy, you work with more employees and if they are young adults, it can be a lot of dram and hassle.

Advice to Management

More recognition, and stop having playing favorites. super annoying when some girls dont do nothing and just stand there trying to be cute.

"Do not take an on call (pt5) position u won't maKe any money"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Macys money,break times,sales experience,marketing experience

Cons

Too much responsibility on sooooo little money gtfoh!

Advice to Management

Management is always stressed out because of their management pushing quotas that aren't possible to make especially in a small store in the hood! They also don't wanna help You transfer and they have attitudes when you ask for help with a customer.