Macy's - Great coworkers, bad managers. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"Great coworkers, bad managers."

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in The Woodlands, TX
Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

I loved my coworkers, I loved my customers.

Cons

The managers are awful. One insisted on screaming at a new hire in front of customers and coworkers, that she wasn't wearing "enough" eye makeup. Another time, a customer had verbally abused a coworker of mine to the point of tears because my coworker insisted on following mandated company policy that the customer didn't like, and management sided with the customer and admonished my well-meaning coworker for doing her job.

Advice to Management

There is literally no reason to encourage your management to abuse employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

"Decent temporary job."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount, flexible schedule

I worked at Macy's seasonally, and it was a decent temporary job. The discount for Christmas shopping was also great, but I spent more money than I made. I nannied during this time and I made a lot more per hour nannying.

Cons

My first day was Black Friday, and although I had gone through training, which is done on a computer in the back room, I was thrown on a register with no one else around. For the most part it was fine, but I didn't have help when I needed it.

"Sales manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good amount of vacation and comp time. Sales managers bond with each other due to the amount of stress put on them to perform in a dysfunctional work environment

Cons

Unrealistic expectations. Sales managers treated poorly in general. No room for advancement. Customers always unhappy because sales people are never available due to cut backs that happen regularly. Sales managers are over paid cleaning people and under paid nannies. Sales associates are mean to management and customers.

Advice to Management

Senior management should be on the floor assisting management team. Senior Management should try to understand the impact of cut backs and how it effects the sales manager team. Senior management should support their managers not berate them.