Macy's - Decent temporary job. | Glassdoor

"Decent temporary job."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount, flexible schedule

I worked at Macy's seasonally, and it was a decent temporary job. The discount for Christmas shopping was also great, but I spent more money than I made. I nannied during this time and I made a lot more per hour nannying.

Cons

My first day was Black Friday, and although I had gone through training, which is done on a computer in the back room, I was thrown on a register with no one else around. For the most part it was fine, but I didn't have help when I needed it.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

"Largest retailer in the world does not appreciate it's employees or their efforts."

I have been working at Macy's full-time

Pros

Good co-workers, finally have a good floor supervisor.

Cons

Inadequate pay, performance evaluation method horrible, management doesn't care about employees. Unethical behavior tolerated.

Advice to Management

Get a clue - people need to be rewarded for hard work and exceeding expectations.

"Most heart blackening experience ever!"

Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gratis from working with Dior counter and double discount days. Meeting new people and learning new things from Dior. My Dior experience was wonderful but Macy's is a joke.

Cons

Sales manager had no clue about anything except how to bullie us. She made a counter manager cry everyday last summer during our slow months here in florida. I was a counter manager but had no one to manage. I ran the counter by myself and was told in my interview I would have a part timer which after I started I was told I would have to sell 3k a week to get a part timer. They are always changing your goals once you meet or beat them and even if you sell 200% or more to your goal and are an "extreme seller" like I was you will still be harassed and talked down to unless you open 2 or more credits a week. Most women in that dept are sneaky and sharky. Dishonest and two faced people are what you are surrounded by all day. Let's take a minute to talk about the prepaid Macy's account they offer. They did not account for my double discount in December properly and are now saying I owe almost 300! How does that happen with a prepaid account?!!! They are scam artist. Macy's money another scam.... open a credit or win a magic story prize and get $3 off a $6 purchase... so now you gotta spend that money in their store... but wait what's that? Oh just the Macy's money showing up as a form of income on my check that I am now being taxed on... after paying sales tax on the purchase I made with it. Top it all off with the fact that the charities they work with are all the top worst ones in the country as far as what % of the donation actually goes to the said cause. Macy's takes at least 60% if most of the money collected from these promotions. What a joke. Sell your soul to the devil and maybe you will succeed in this company.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone and rebuild your company with some damn ethics!