Macy's - I regret applying for this company. I liked shopping here but working here has really changed my perspective. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"I regret applying for this company. I liked shopping here but working here has really changed my perspective."

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate, Part Time in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate, Part Time in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best part of this job is connecting with the customers and helping them find items for certain occasions. The scheduling system is automated, therefore, able to pick up additional shifts in other departments if you like.

Cons

Management needs to be improved! As a Retail Sales Associate, you are given daily sales goals. You are expected to do go backs on the floor.However, if there is a lot of customers, other associates are at the register you will not get a chance to ring up customers and therefore not meet your goal. Manager says, "We work as a team and alternate register time." That was not the case when I was working and that day, I did not make my goal while the other associates made over their goal.

Advice to Management

It is very disorganized. Do not have two people who have worked there less than a week close a register because we are not experienced in doing so.. Also, I did not know I had to be "released" from the shift after closing. Why? Nobody informed me. When a lady came and asked after closing, if we were doing okay (closing register) she was very sarcastic.! She said I was supposed to say, "Yes, we are doing okay" It was only my third day. Perhaps if training was better, I would have known this information.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

1. "Support team"

Pros

Schedule is flexable to a degree and support hours are usually in the am to early pm range so you can get out and enjoy the day

Cons

There are no pay insentives for support team members so while you have the most demanding job in the store you likely will not make more than minimum wage. If you do not have a degree you will not be promoted above dept lead (a slight raise and a LOT more work)

Advice to Management

Pay your support teams what they are worth and your stores will shine.

2. "Macy's is a great place to learn and work with amazing people."

Former Employee - Executive Development Program in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Development Program in Austin, TX

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There were many career path programs for employees, great vacation time, and many community involvement opportunities.

Cons

The retail schedule is not fun during the holidays. Sales managers aren't able to have even close to a set schedule.

Advice to Management

They need to have expedited career paths for employees of higher aptitude.