Macy's - Good people but the process ruins the ability to create good software | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"Good people but the process ruins the ability to create good software"

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Lorain, OH
Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Lorain, OH

Pros

The people are good to work with and the employee discount's not bad

Cons

The development process is wasteful and over complicated.

Advice to Management

Agile is better.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

"Macy's North region of Macy's East - A Challenging Environment to Work In"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

I actually work for the North region of Macy's East, located in Minneapolis, MN. I would say the best reason to work for this region of Macy's East is the people. They are genuine and supportive. I also feel that, after all we've been through, we still try to stick together as a team. Plus, the leadership at the Minneapolis office is strong. The directors and VPs are strategic, smart and take initiative.

Another perk about working for Macy's is the employee discount. You receive 20% off all merchandise. Plus, sometimes the discount can be combined with other offers, for really great savings!

Cons

It's hard working for a company whose corporate headquarters are in NYC. It's also tough when we used to run our own region (Macy's North). We used to have so much autonomy, but now everything needs to be approved by our New York office. It was tough seeing around 800 employees laid off. The morale in the office right now isn't that great because we lost so many talented employees during the lay-offs. Also, it appears that our leadership in NYC is trying to get rid of the rest of us that are still here. They don't seem to have a retention plan in place.

Advice to Management

I think mangement needs to provide more open communication and dialoguge. Sometimes they give responses that are too HR-driven, when all the employees really want is true answers.

2. "Good , Bad and Ugly"

Pros

Depending on the project you could be have a 9-5 job. There seems to be a lot of people that arrive after 9 AM and leave before 5 PM.

Cons

Lack of training and proper budgeting. Benefits are horrible. It takes 6 months to be eligible for health and 1 year for 401k.
    The company seemed to have missed the midrange web applications of the late 90's early 2000's. They are trying to catch up now and it is painful.

Advice to Management

Put more emphasize on employee retention. The only real growth that one can make at MST is in management. Talented techs get burnt out and leave for better pay/opportunities. Mediocre techs tend to linger in the company.