Macy's - It was a fun job and I liked my clients | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"It was a fun job and I liked my clients"

Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Pleasanton, CA
Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

I liked my clients and was excited about the idea of what I was doing, which was selling cosmetics.
I enjoyed a majority of my co workers and thught the product that I was selling was excellent in quality and that the cosmetics company was a good company to represent.

Cons

Macy's itself does not seem to know what is going on when a company is working within its walls. There was a lack of communication and limited training. I wanted to have more professional training, but I did the best with what I had to work with. I did not like that I had to push the credit card part. Regardless of how much I was selling, if I did not get people to sign up for credit, I was failing. Finally, I was hired for a day short position and was told to put down my availability. After I was hired, I found out that the schedule was computer generated and there was any flexibility. It took awhile to get used to standing for so long, but once I did, it was not so bad. I did not appreciate some of the co-workers being so competitive regarding the 3% commission-I mean really, it was not worth the unprofessionalism that they displayed and I wish this kind of behavior was discouraged.

Advice to Management

Make sure that you teach the young girls to be more respectful and professional with their coworkers and with some of the clients. Competing over 3% commission is just not attractive!

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

"Great holiday job but best to leave after the holidays"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

Pros

I was mostly a retail virgin, and I was surprised how much better the pay turned out to be compared to other 'mall' stores. It was draw+commission, I made an average of $20 a hour during the holidays. I was in a good area of the store, and regular associates in my area made more since their commission rates are higher than seasonal staff and they are generally better sellers.

I also really like that you pick your own schedule at Macy's. The shifts are usually 7 - 9 hours long, and sometimes a manager would ask people to stay later if it was very busy still. Many retailers schedule people in 3 hour shifts now a days, so I saw this as a big plus.

I liked the incentives in opening credit cards. You receive 3 dollars of Macy's money for each card you open and sometimes there are other treats as well.

Cons

The orientation process took up a week's worth of time ( a week where you couldn't pick up shifts thereby delaying your actualy start date by 2 wks) and a waste of time for temporary staff if you ask me. One time they called me to come in for one hr of orientation. I couldn't go onto the next part of orientation, because each had its 'own day'.

I personally never shopped at a Macy's before working there, because they are so overcrowded with junk. But when the going gets rough... Anyways it was annoying working around broken pieces of displays and trash, because there was nowhere to put stuff.

The people are mostly nice, but there are some strange and seemingly katty characters. Don't expect people to go out of their way to help you.

After the holidays is inventory and they added inventory shifts onto my schedule without asking me. There is no commission obviously with working these shifts which meant minimum wage for me, and you leave the store at 3 am to walk to your car alone which you must park very far away : (

Alot of people return things after the holidays and the commission gets deducted from your pay check so I jumped ship pretty soon after. Can't deduct from a pay check that you are giving.

This was not too bad of an experience. Luckily I don't need to work anymore; not sure I would have wanted to at a Macy's.

2. "It is a competitive job that really requires a certain type of personality to enjoy it to the fullest."

Current Employee - Commission Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Commission Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA

Pros

My co workers and management at this location are a very good team of employees. Once you get familiar with theenvirnment and products, it is real easy to make connections with the customers and meet the commission and other sales goals.

Cons

They push the sales of the Macy's credit cards relentlessly! If you have a bad manager you will probably not like the job much at all.

Advice to Management

Make the in department training a little more thorough instead of just the MAGIC training. Especially in the shoe departments it would be nice if there were a position or two for a dedicated stockroom employee. I would love to be employed as a womens shoe stock room person and be able to constantly maintain, restock, and ticket everything to make work flow easier for everyone. As it is it can be very hard to keep track of everything and rearrange as needed when you are mainly needed on the sales floor. We have also had some stocking mix ups because of the overly rushed environment in the stock room.