Magenta Studio Photo - Great job through University | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Magenta Studio Photo

"Great job through University"

Former Employee - Photographer
Former Employee - Photographer

I worked at Magenta Studio Photo part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, young co-workers and a good environment if you are learning the basics or just trying to pay your pay through school.

Cons

Management was too young and too inexperienced!

Advice to Management

Give your photographers more freedom. You try to be at the forefront of creativity when it comes to family photos but you limit anyone attempting to actually be original.

Sales people are not photographers and photographers are not necessarily sales people. Commission should be distributed differently.

Other Employee Reviews for Magenta Studio Photo

1. "fun job but gets repetitive and management is bad"

Former Employee - Photographer in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Photographer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Magenta Studio Photo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pays well and great team in studio

Cons

badly managed, the company expanded too quickly

Advice to Management

get your game together, you guys are losing good employees

2. "So much drama, really disappointing."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vaughan, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vaughan, ON (Canada)

I worked at Magenta Studio Photo part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun if you like kids.

Entry level.

Some nice co workers.

Cons

Awful branch management, maybe it was just my location but all the reviews on here say the same thing about management. Management would blame others for things they were in charge of/ expected other employees to do things they could do and I felt like they couldn't be asked to care about the job/employees outside of when they were clocked in.

Horrible scheduling. You don't know if you'll be cut from the schedule/exactly what time you will be starting and finishing until closing time which is 7-10pm the night before you work, as it's posted in nightly in a group chat. Impossible to plan anything/have a life/ maintain school and work balance especially if you're a student.

"2 weeks of intense training" was promised but it was more like a couple of days and really unorganized and different people did it each time and it felt incredibly rushed.

Employees and management would gossip openly about customer issues and about fellow employees. Pretty unnecessarily dramatic and gossipy bunch.

Management would schedule more people to work than needed at a time, so there were ever 2 people at reception one would have to clock out. The "clock out if you're not needed" rule was ridiculous.

Pressure to sell. I was literally told that not selling an expensive frame to a customer was cheating/scamming them out of their money because they already spent $ on their overpriced digitals.

This company has poor values and poor reviews everywhere. I don't think theres a location rated above 3 stars on google maps, and most negative yelp reviews are hidden by the company.

"Break room" was used to store equipment, customer orders, bags and coats. Consisted of a microwave and a chair in a storage room equivalent to a hallway.

Hired photographers with no training and expect to be known as a "professional photography studio", but when customers view their photos, some are out of focus, cut off, repeats etc and you have to explain why they're "still good" in hopes that they'll buy them. Obviously no one is going to want to go with the expensive "Buy All" package if not all their photos were worth it.

So many customer issues, unhappy people and unnecessary drama with low pay for the stress of this job. Old customer issues were resolved with a "we were under old management, we have a new way of doing things now" approach and it was still terrible. So many more terrible things I could say about this company, mostly specific to the branch I was located at. I was excited to get this job but the company is such a disaster.

Advice to Management

Hire better management that care about the job and the employees.

Make the scheduling system better.

Management, take accountability for your mistakes once in a while.

Train employees more thoroughly.