Maharam Fabric - excellent company to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Maharam Fabric

"excellent company to work for"

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Maharam Fabric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They really care about their employees at Maharam. The pay is very good for a basic position (i.e. internal sales) and the benefits are excellent as well. The showrooms are absolutely stunning and therefore a lovely place to come to work every day. The people in the company are all fantastic as well - other colleagues in other showrooms, the sales reps, the management, and the warehouse staff in Hauppauge all work very well together and make it that much more pleasant. I was proud to work there and highly recommend this company - just be willing to be as good to them as they are to you (meaning work hard and be thorough in your work) and you'll be a perfect fit.

Cons

If I had to find one (and I'm really stretching here), the internal sales position is not overly engaging so if you're one who enjoys being challenged on a daily basis you may want to consider another position with the company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work with both your beautiful textiles and aesthetics as well as with the way you treat your employees. I know I appreciated it and I wish so much that I could still be a part of the Maharam team (unfortunately there are no showrooms where I now live or I'd apply tomorrow!)

Other Employee Reviews for Maharam Fabric

1. "Great opportunities to learn, but limited growth opportunities"

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator

I worked at Maharam Fabric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My experience was that management was supportive and wanted to foster a positive work environment. The position gave me the chance to develop a deeper understanding and knowledge of contract textiles, wall coverings and working in inside sales. It was also a wonderful place to learn about industrial design and fine art, as I was constantly exposed to new things. My co-workers were wonderfully supportive, and I had good working relationships with co-workers in other offices who I never met in person. When I worked there the company felt like a big family, with many people who had worked there for anywhere from 5 to over 25 years. Also, although I don't have any children of my own, I noticed being a Sales Coordinator was a good position for mothers with children, because they did not have to take their work home with them.

Cons

As the other reviews have said, working as a Sales Coordinator your options for advancement are limited, unless you want to move to New York to work at their headquarters. Otherwise you will need to wait for a Sales Rep position to become available (doesn't happen too often) and then be open to moving elsewhere in the country to take up that role.

Advice to Management

You could offer more in terms of educational reimbursement for employees at the Sales Coordinator level. You could also add rewards or incentives for those who work on teams that do very well. For example, I had heard of a Sales Rep being sent to Europe to take a class with a textile artist. Those opportunities should be made available for Sales Coordinators as well since they typically work very hard to keep not only the customer happy, but also their Sales Rep. I would think there are plenty of opportunities in the U.S. for similar classes that wouldn't be as expensive as sending someone to Europe.

2. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Maharam Fabric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Innovative, well respected company. Work with interesting designers and continuously have new products, projects and stories to share with clients.

Cons

Management is changing and adjustment to ownership by Herman Miller is now in full effect. Pressure from the top is leading to micro managing in mid level.

Advice to Management

Retain as much of the old Maharam as you can, while its still in everyone's recent memory.