Maine Medical Center - Excellent Place, Excellent People, Excellent Work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Maine Medical Center

"Excellent Place, Excellent People, Excellent Work"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, ME
Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, ME

I have been working at Maine Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to really make a difference in people's lives and in supporting the health of the state. Multidisciplinary collaboration is evident and each individaul has the opportunity to contribute to bettering care at the institution.

Cons

Fast paced environment that really requires the ability to be flexible and remain calm under pressure. This is very hard work in a rapidly changing industry.

Advice to Management

Realize that you have the talent around you to succeed.

Other Employee Reviews for Maine Medical Center

1. "Working for Maine Medical Center has been wonderful"

Current Employee - Network Analyst in Rockland, ME
    Current Employee - Network Analyst in Rockland, ME

I have been working at Maine Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefit/compensation package with flexible working schedules and empowered employees. Very customer oriented, but internal and external

Cons

Not terribly cost conscious and areas of responsibility are silo'd. Seems like money is wasted on frivolous things while items that would improve productivity, but expensive are put off.

Advice to Management

More closely monitor spending on items such as canteen, associated to training projects for example.

"Tightening healthcare budgets=unsafe staffing"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, ME

I have been working at Maine Medical Center part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and flexible schedule. There is a lot of room for advancement if you are looking for additional certifications.

Cons

Staff are overworked and undervalued. Nurses are expected to carry heavier patient loads than what most feel are safe, and management has become increasingly focused on nurse to patient ratios rather than the actual patient acuity. Shift charge nurses are also very overworked and highly undercompensated/undervalued based on the increasing demands placed on them.
    Middle management is caught between a rock and a hard place, holding the thankless position of trying to please upper management while also attempting to make nursing staff feel heard and provide them with safe staffing. It's a lose-lose battle,and the harder they fight for their nursing staff, the closer they edge to losing their own jobs. They are forced to choose between protecting their own jobs, or protecting their staff and patients....
    Many nurses are afraid to speak up for what they feel is right or safe for fear of retribution, but those of us that do speak up are getting tired of doing so because it falls on deaf ears. There's too much focus on MMC's "image," rather than on the basics of SAFE CARE AND SAFE STAFFING! They talk a good talk, but the talk is getting old......... When I started at MMC 15 years ago, first as a CNA, then became an RN, I thought I would work here for the duration of my nursing career. Now at 15 years in, I am faced with the debate of staying there and being unhappy, or finding a new career.........
    Through it all, and as bitter as I have become about the way this "business" is being run, my patients STILL come first! My bitterness has never and WILL never get in the way of the care that I provide... I bend over backwards to give my patients the best possible care that I can every time I set foot in the door. It's just hard to know that I could be providing them with better care if we had more staff........ It's a horrible feeling to consistently leave your shift wishing that you had more time to give to your patients........... I genuinely hope that more nurses and patients will continue to advocate for their needs and that it will eventually be heard, but as the years pass and the conditions/staffing worsen, my hope for that outcome slowly fades........

Advice to Management

Safe staffing levels should be at the top of the list for budget priorities!!! Staff want to be able to see provide safe and effective care to their patients, but are finding it increasingly difficult to do so. If changes are not made in staffing, maine medical center will see a huge loss of experienced nurses. Perhaps that is what they want so they can hire less expensive new grads and get rid of some of the higher paid experienced nurses..... The burnout rate is faster than I have ever seen in my 15 years there, and the morale is at rock bottom on many units. More nurses are actively looking for new jobs than I've ever seen in all my time there........ More focus should fall on nurse retention! The budget won't look so nice when you're spending thousands to orient all those new nurses, even though their hourly wages will be more affordable from a 'budget' standppoint!