Major Tool & Machine - Frustrating at times | Glassdoor

"Frustrating at times"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

reinvestment in technology
great bunch of co-workers
good pay

Cons

a lot of pressure
management directrion no clear
infighting among top management

Advice to Management

please get on the same page as to the direction the company is going

Other Employee Reviews for Major Tool & Machine

1. "Exciting and challenging place to work!"

Current Employee - CFT Engineer
    Current Employee - CFT Engineer

I have been working at Major Tool & Machine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging projects and always something new. Fast-paced environment and solving complex problems. You are guaranteed to learn something new everyday, due to all the experience between employees. Advancement within the company is available, just need to show capability, have a good self-worth and dedication.

Cons

The business has hiccups here and there, but no business is perfect.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to improve the business as you are. We see changes coming, however being more vocal to the rest of the business would be beneficial. Personally, I would like to see more "town hall" type meetings every month to hear what we are focusing on and any challenges the business is facing.

2. "Could be great but"

Current Employee - White Collar in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - White Collar in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Major Tool & Machine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mostly stable employment, big name customers. Onsite health clinic saves money and time. Good coworkers.

Cons

Feeling you could be let go if a slowdown occurrs. Management doesn't always take employee's ideas and suggestions seriously. No 401K match. Health benefits are costly but an onsite clinic is helpful. A lot of good employees are leaving. Nepotism runs rampant.

Advice to Management

Actually LISTEN to your employees. Not just at special meetings but day to day. The real experts are in the trenches not sitting in an office. The VP's and CEO's, COO don't know everything. Not taking employee's opinions seriously kills moral. People stop contributing.

We revisit the same issues over and over. When team leaders move around, the same issues we solved a year ago come right back. Big money waster.

Stop taking on big projects without spending the time to fully research the customer's requirements. It isn't 1999 anymore. Employees are tired of being beat up because quotes are too low and customer expectations aren't defined early.

Training should consist of more than reading dry SOP's. Training should be hands on with testing before working on customer parts.

The nepotism is a big factor in good people leaving. Promotions are given to family instead of more qualified and loyal employees. Everyone talks about it!

Quality of customer product has been getting worse. Quality TL has little knowledge of quality. Can't manage his workload.

Major Tool & Machine Response

Sep 10, 2017 – VP Human Resources

We do believe that the people at Major are the real experts at their jobs and we encourage everyone to engage in improvement activities either through their own team or cross-functionally. We are... More