Makerbot - Love the emphasis on culture at MakerBot | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Makerbot

"Love the emphasis on culture at MakerBot"

I have been working at Makerbot full-time

Pros

Management is focused on making sure that employees are both a good fit with their supervisors and their teams; that makes for a very aligned atmosphere. I feel respected and acknowledged and excited to be working in such a creative and energetic company.

Cons

Growing pains but I really believe it will lead to all good things.

Advice to Management

Keep on recognizing your employees for their hard work--it does make a difference!

Other Employee Reviews for Makerbot

1. "See potential and help push you forward"

Pros

If they see you are a hard worker, willing to learn, MakerBot will help you grow and develop.

Cons

With quick growth comes change and change isn't always easy for everyone.

Advice to Management

Stick with it and keep growing and trying new things.

"The Walmart of 3D printing"

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This used to be a great company and I still want to believe that the potential is there. There are still a few people knocking around that are entrepreneurial and team focused. Rather than looking out for themselves, they're trying to move the company forward in an industry that's now competitive. We're no longer the only ones making 3D printers and we need to work smarter.

The demise of Makerbot has little to do with growing pains and a lot to do with the lack of leadership. Maybe other reviewers feel the same way, but I'm writing this because I feel I have no other outlet to get my message across and it seems these Glassdoor reviews are actually getting some press.

Cons

The lack of leadership has touched every aspect of the company, from hiring practices to general culture (hint: there is none). Over the past six months, managers have been hired who seem to have personal connections to one of the C level staff, but have no discernable skills or leadership capabilities. The same C level staffer is also involved in every hiring decision made, which really highlights the day to day micromanagement that's in place as well as management priorities. I feel that the entire top/mid level of the company has been replaced over the past year with yes-men doers rather than thinkers who can help get the team motivated and Makerbot competitive. As another reviewer mentioned, the CEO fired the marketing staff last year and replaced them with his father. I think that sums up the hiring practices.

Advice to Management

You're not a small company anymore. Get out of the details and start running a business, start hiring people who have the skills we need not the connections, communicate with your employees both in the office and in your factories and start shaping a company culture. Figure out how to motivate people. Pay sucks, potential for career growth is a joke, and morale is in the toilet. You've known this for a while, how are you fixing it? Don't wait for people to just quit in frustration like Walmart.