Makerbot - The Walmart of 3D printing | Glassdoor

"The Walmart of 3D printing"

I have been working at Makerbot full-time for more than a year

Pros

This used to be a great company and I still want to believe that the potential is there. There are still a few people knocking around that are entrepreneurial and team focused. Rather than looking out for themselves, they're trying to move the company forward in an industry that's now competitive. We're no longer the only ones making 3D printers and we need to work smarter. The demise of Makerbot has little to do with growing pains and a lot to do with the lack of leadership. Maybe other reviewers feel the same way, but I'm writing this because I feel I have no other outlet to get my message across and it seems these Glassdoor reviews are actually getting some press.

Cons

The lack of leadership has touched every aspect of the company, from hiring practices to general culture (hint: there is none). Over the past six months, managers have been hired who seem to have personal connections to one of the C level staff, but have no discernable skills or leadership capabilities. The same C level staffer is also involved in every hiring decision made, which really highlights the day to day micromanagement that's in place as well as management priorities. I feel that the entire top/mid level of the company has been replaced over the past year with yes-men doers rather than thinkers who can help get the team motivated and Makerbot competitive. As another reviewer mentioned, the CEO fired the marketing staff last year and replaced them with his father. I think that sums up the hiring practices.

Continue reading
    Makerbot2013-06-19
  1. "A Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you stick around it feels like there is good opportunity for growth and ability to get involved with new projects. The company is really starting to ramp up and move at a faster pace, which is quite nice, as there is a vibrant and exciting flux that keeps things exciting. The ability to print is nice as well!

Cons

Could improve with more cross-departmental communication.

Makerbot2019-10-14
  2. "Good place to gain experience."

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer

I have been working at Makerbot full-time

Pros

Maker Bot produces exciting products.

Cons

There is no mid level management across the entire organization.

Makerbot2020-02-17

Discover more reviews about Makerbot.