KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Add a Review

Employee Review

1. 1.0
    Former Employee

I guess they're trying to shut it down.

Apr 18, 2015 - Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the most intelligent people I've ever met. The engineers and software guys pulled a miracle patching a product that wasn't finished.

Cons

CEO, Let me first talk about some things that were completely not your fault. The only reason why Makerbot was able to grow to the point that it did, pre-Stratasys, was because they took a technology perfected by the open-source crowd, repackaged it, and called their creation. It quickly became apparent that those in charge had no idea what they were doing when creating printers that were truly their own: the 5th generations. If the 5th gens were Makerbot's first offerings to the public, Stratasys would have easily seen no future for this company. This needs to be clear: the performance of these printers are not the fault of the engineers. They were rushed by a small group who need to line their wallets ASAP and run out the door before people realized that they've been scammed. Given the adequate time to work on projects, they have created really great stuff. Now onto you. On the first day that you met us, you told us, "I must earn my place here." First of all, your speech was bad. No one needed to know about your personal life. We needed to know how you would help us fix this mess. Well good job! You managed to make every single employee hate you during the first few weeks that you've been here! If you're sitting in your office right now, look out to the office floor. Everyone you see hates you. You got rid of their friends, and with the funny little clause in our contracts that allows you to fire anyone for no reason, there really isn't any reason to like you. Do you really believe that getting rid of the people who were here working on solutions to the problems created by upper management was the best idea? Of course getting rid of 100 employees will save you money, but that is short term. You also got rid of all their knowledge. The people who left this company have created companies of their own, which shows you the potential that this company has been leaking out. You now have to spend time retraining your new employees. Who are these employees? The low paid interns that are coming in very soon! The timing couldn't be more right. Almost like some crazy coincidence. What's left now is a concentration of people in upper management who created this mess in the first place, a group of interns who have to play catch up, and a few knowledgable employees who are forced to make the worst decisions for the company. If saving money was your goal, why not fire those in upper management responsible for the misguidance, and send guys from Stratasys to take over? They are the highest paid by the way, and really is a no-brainer. If you try to put this all together, and make sense of it, it only leads to one plausible explanation. This is just my opinion since I am not part of the board, and know nothing of what they've planned. If this is actually what's going on, then I guess I told you so. You are the fall guy they chose. Seriously? A guy with a sales background? It didn't make you think for a second that something is a little weird when they offered the position to you? They needed someone to make more bad decisions to drive Makerbot further into the ground, ultimately to shut it down, and they've made a great choice. You've lost the confidence of your whole workforce, and even worse, the customers. The company didn't need to an expert in sales. The sales department proved that they are elite. When you can convince people to buy a $3000 paperweight, you're a good salesman. What this company needed was an engineer as a CEO who understands the process, and not rush something that isn't finished, yet. When they're done with you, I guess they'll send you to their dunce corner, AKA Bold Machines. I've learned that people have been calling that team "The Expendables." It's quite fitting actually. I want to wish all those who were affected by this the best because we all know they don't really mean it in those weekly emails with the names of those who leave. I would bet that it might even feel like a minor inconvenience to whoever is writing those that day. Two more things. SSYS has had some relatively, but oddly, good performance on the market earlier this week compared to the trend of previous weeks, and it suddenly dipped the day before the massive layoffs. Curious isn't it? Every review here that says "growing pains" is written by someone in upper management.

Continue reading
    18 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company out of college

Nov 8, 2021 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

MakerBot is a great company to join right out of college because you’ll be exposed to a lot of different production related experiences. It’s easy to become involved on different aspects of product development and learn from other teams. The work you do here can make a big impact on the company.

Cons

Needs more senior level engineers.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Current Employee

It was a job.

Dec 9, 2021 - Assembly Line Worker
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was employed and had a steady check.

Cons

Low wage and a lot of mandatory overtime.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Makerbot.