Manpower - Manpower Temporaries | Glassdoor

"Manpower Temporaries"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Edgewood, MD
Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Edgewood, MD

I worked at Manpower as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They are very good to work for and they standby their employees. I would work for them again.

Cons

They give you late working hours while you there but don't tell you that you are working late til you are already there.

Advice to Management

The employers there need to be upfront with their employees if they are going to need them to work late. Some people have babysitters, and you just can't call and say hey I have to work late because they have a life too.

Other Employee Reviews for Manpower

1. "Do not value temporary staff, poor communication to client and staff."

Former Contractor - Event Manager in Wall, NJ
    Former Contractor - Event Manager in Wall, NJ

I worked at Manpower as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

They offer a benefits package that would get someone away from the broken Obamacare system. The main office allows you to work with the client without interference. They do not micromanage your time or pull you away from a contract to participate in additional training that will dock your time.

Cons

There is no recognition for going above and beyond. The internal office has high turnover. My original recruiter left the firm and over the course of a 6 month contract I had 3 different contacts.

Although promised 37 hours weekly on the contract, the client was not aware that we had guaranteed hours and randomly closed the office and/or sent workers home. When I asked about other opportunities that were a better fit, I was told to put in the regular 37 hour week into the time sheet and that the employer closing the office for whatever reason would not affect the terms of their contract with the client and my contract with Manpower. When I did this, the client started screaming at me and I was stuck in the middle of a war with the client acting like a crazy person embarrassing me in front of others. When I called the office to discuss the client's outburst, they again reiterated I was doing the right thing. An hour later I receive a call .. ."we made a mistake, you only get paid hours worked and the client has the right to send people home". I again asked for more hours and to move contracts based on the embarrassment and unprofessional position I was placed in. I stuck out the contract for the entire 6 months averaging between 25-30 hours a week.

This contract had Manpower staff from several locations. Several weeks before the contract ended, some employees started receiving emails/calls about the contract coming to a close and discussions of immediate reassignment on new projects, discussion of utilizing the on-line skills training, etc. Other offices never reached out to staff members. When staff members called in asking why they were not yet contacted, they were clueless and surprised that anyone received a call. In fact, my location had no idea when the contract was ending.

I found several job listings and called the office about 2 weeks before the contract close and was constantly told "that is not ours" with a refusal to even present me to the client. It was Manpower jobs on the Manpower website and it made no sense.

I did receive a call from a manager about a position with a major company that was an ideal fit for my background. I told the manager I was interested, but wanted to know a few basic details like hours, salary, and where the job was located. I was told the salary range would be the same as my existing, full time, but they were not sure the salary. That evening I received "onboarding" paperwork and was puzzled because they were supposed to call before submitting my resume to confirm the hours/location.

The agency submitted my information to the company without consent and without clarifying my questions. Although their client had positions at a location within 5 miles of my location, they submitted me for the same job at a location 45 miles away and over a 1 hour commute with traffic. The job was not a full time job, but only 3-4 hours a day. The salary was in a much lower bracket. I told the agency I would take the opportunity despite the salary cut and part time hours, but only if they would negotiate 2 full time days a week at the client site they selected, or I would take the daily hours if they would allow me to work at the local facility based on the cost of commute.

They refused and said they thought I had all the information. Obviously the manager I spoke to initially never communicated with his staff, or his staff doesn't know how to follow instructions.

I was offered the same position for more money at the desired location with more hours with a competing temp agency. Because they submitted me to the other location without permission, I lost the job all together.

When I filed for unemployment, it was held up 4 weeks pending an employer appeal. They claimed I refused work. Needless to say, unemployment found in my favor based on emails from the manager claiming jobs were not theirs, and the emails about putting me in for the job with the desirable company ... along with my questions and attempts to negotiate terms.

I just found the entire process unprofessional. I found inconsistency in the communication. The list goes on.

Advice to Management

Develop consistency throughout your footprint and create strategic communication plans across offices to keep staff on-board and aware of the process.

I was happy with Manpower in the 80's fresh out of high school, never had a stretch of more than a day or two between the end of one assignment and another. I worked with the company for 3 years until I really meshed well with a client and landed a permanent job lasting more than a decade (and nearly two) until downsizing. When I came back to Manpower 20 years later, it was a horrible company to deal with and not the same positive experience.

2. "Manpower Bay Area"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Oakland, CA

I worked at Manpower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a fair degree of potential if you don't need support

Cons

Company Restructuring has led to significant and critical people leaving.