Marathon Health - Passion and Purpose | Glassdoor

"Passion and Purpose"

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Marathon Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After years working in other industries, it still amazes me on an almost daily basis to see the passion, commitment and devotion to an underlying mission of health CARE that people here bring to their jobs. The leadership team is comprised of smart, tough, dedicated individuals who believe in making a difference for our customers and for our own employees.

Cons

Marathon Health is on a growth path and with that come some bumps and hiccups as it evolves from a small to mid-size company with outside minority investment. There is some feeling of disconnect between corporate HQ and the field teams that are hopefully being mitigated through the work of our HR and culture group.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate strategic vision, not just for the next week or month, but for the next 3 years.

Marathon Health Response

Jul 24, 2017 – VP, People Operations

We will work to ensure we stay connected. The central support services exist only to serve our Ambassadors in the health centers--not the other way around. Thank you so much for the feedback.

Other Employee Reviews for Marathon Health

"VP HR (May to October, 2016)"

I worked at Marathon Health full-time

Pros

Marathon's' medical field workforce is amazing - dedicated, capable, and committed to the vision/mission - moreso than for any other company I have ever seen. This was confirmed in the employee survey results, and you can readily see this in reviews posted here. They get it, they want to do right things the right way - an extraordinary valuable corporate asset.

Cons

While I was there, sales were flat, and had been flat for two years. The company missed its financials in 2016. Over 60% of the field health centers were in the red for over 6 months on contracted performance metrics which had incentive payouts tied to them. Sales sold anything they could to anybody they could with no real accountability, then over the wall to everybody else. Compensation was not tied to performance, and in fact, the CEO and the CFO made all the compensation decisions for the entire company. The appraisal system focused on competencies not results. So when employees asked about getting ahead, management had no coherent process, policy of philosophy. Recruiting was a chronic challenge because management had never looked at recruiting in terms of building a brand to attract people - always just staff the next project contract. In fact, I was the one who got Marathon signed up with Glassdoor as a step toward changing this. There was not, and had not been any management training - which explains much of the "cons" posted in these reviews, as well as the high turnover. In fact, the company had outgrown the capabilities of most of the VP set. Very nice people, well intentioned, but too busy to improve and often over their heads with ridiculously large spans of control. There were too many VPs, so many that the CEO couldn't have a regular staff meeting. Management was deeply divided around the innovation issue. Some were keen to try things, learn things, invite ideas. Many were opposed to innovation - and advocated doing more of the same. "We don't need no stinkin' ideas." As a result, many opportunities were missed. I do not know how much tangible progress has been made - but it's clear they were not ready to do what they actually hired me to do. If you are looking for a job there, you might consider asking about some of these things that are important to you.

Advice to Management

Get the right people in the jobs. Focus on results. Put a continuous improvement process in place. And innovate. Otherwise Goldman will hang you out to dry.

2. "A great company, with a great mission"

I worked at Marathon Health full-time

Pros

Wonderful co-workers, supportive environment, flexibility, career growth opportunities

Cons

Things move/change quickly and it is important to be adaptable