Marathon Petroleum - Conservative, Backward, Boys Club | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Marathon Petroleum

"Conservative, Backward, Boys Club"

Former Intern - Brand Management Intern in Atlanta, GA
Former Intern - Brand Management Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Marathon Petroleum as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

They gave me a relocation bonus when they moved me to work in a satellite office in Atlanta

Cons

They made me drive around by myself to rural and dangerous urban areas to take pictures of gas stations. In answer to my questions my boss, more often than not answered: "You wouldn't understand", there was no inter-office unity and I was isolated from the rest of the interns who worked at headquarters, the office was full of buttoned up middle aged men who did things together but never thought to invite anyone else. Terrible work environment. Oh and when I asked what they were going to use my culminating project for they told me that it probably wouldn't be used for naything.

Advice to Management

Teach your managers how to deal with interns. Teach men how to include and respect women. Create a more formal program for interns that both helps them develop AND keeps them in a more safe evironment. Challenge the interns more and include them in more meetings so they can learn. Also, be more up front about the aspects of the role.

Other Employee Reviews for Marathon Petroleum

1. "Great Company - Great Industry - Great Career"

Current Employee - Procurement Contracts Representative in Findlay, OH
    Current Employee - Procurement Contracts Representative in Findlay, OH

Pros

- Above average compensation for location/industry
    - Advancement opportunities if you are flexible with location
    - Strong co-workers and team support
    - Ability to have an impact
    - Employee investment is high as they reimburse you for formal education and encourage various training
    - Work/life balance is typically strong
    - Challenging responsibilities, especially if you demand the work

Cons

- Very conservative environment
    - Zero sustainability with internal department processes/strategic initiatives
    - Questionable personnel placement
    - Although you can expect to be promoted, the process is very slow, even if the appropriate skill set is there and the work was put in

Advice to Management

- Invest more time in selecting candidates for mid-level management
    - Expose more employees to field environment if they have primarily worked in corporate and vice versa
    - Reward employees for taking on temporary assignments

2. "Work is interesting. Findlay is a good town to raise a family."

Current Employee - Information Technology Integrator in Findlay, OH
    Current Employee - Information Technology Integrator in Findlay, OH

Pros

Marathon Petroleum is very good at giving you interesting work assignments. People are willing to help and for the most part supportive. Pay is good and you have the potential for a yearly bonus.

Cons

Marathon pays their hourly people like the admin assistants very poorly. Marathon stresses integrity but they take advantage of their contractors. There are a lot of contractors from India. So much for that old slogan they had about an American company serving America. Marathon treats the engineers very well. Not so much the other disciplines.