Marathon Petroleum - Is a great company | Glassdoor

"Is a great company"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Findlay, OH
Current Employee - Project Engineer in Findlay, OH

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growth, people oriented, listens to people.

Cons

Locations are mostly not in larger cities.

Other Employee Reviews for Marathon Petroleum

1. "Great learning opportunity"

Former Intern - Marketing in Findlay, OH
    Former Intern - Marketing in Findlay, OH

I worked at Marathon Petroleum as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company with many meaningful tasks. Lots of varied experience.

Cons

Very corporate and Findlay is not exactly the best place to live in your 20s

"Excellent learning opportunities for co-ops in an almost family atmosphere."

Former Intern - Tech Services Co-op in Findlay, OH
    Former Intern - Tech Services Co-op in Findlay, OH

I worked at Marathon Petroleum as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

1) Supervisors usually give meaningful and challenging projects to all refinery based ChE co-ops. Working at Marathon for a total of 15 months built up my résumé to the point that I was able to interview with my choice of companies when it was time to search for a full time job.
    2) Full time coworkers are always happy to share their knowledge and help when needed, which is very important when initially learning their systems.
    3) Pay was between $27 to $36 per hour. Hard to beat. Sometimes overtime opportunities if working during a refinery turnaround.
    4) The corporate culture had a true family feel to it. The company was always trying to put people in positions that best matched an individual's skills but was also more than willing to work around personal preferences (for full time employees). Worked hard to develop employees.
    5) Company hires nearly exclusively from their pool of coops. Last I heard, anywhere from 25 to 50% of coops will get full time offers.
    6) Get the chance to work in a different refinery for every coop term to develop large number of company contacts.

Cons

1) People were sometimes too nice when offering feedback. They didn't necessarily push you to accomplish your absolute best (that was left to you).
    2) Locations tend to be in smaller Midwestern towns.
    3) Difficult to obtain a new hire position in select refineries if you didn't have coop experience there.
    4) I cannot say enough negative things about the HR representatives that the coops have to deal with. People were regularly switched to a different location at the last minute (didnt happen to me personally). I could go on, but just try to manage HR the best you can when and before working there. Save every email when dealing with them. The only upside is they tend to be very good looking.

Advice to Management

1) Be more selective about which coops get return offers for 2nd, 3rd, or 4th coop terms. Only offer multiple terms to the top 50-75% of coops to increase the talent in your coop pool. Could even give small bonuses to top 10% of coops as incentive to get top talent to stick around.
    2) Push 2nd and 3rd term coops to give serious results. It seems that current managers are more than satisfied with average work results.
    3) Make the new hire process more coordinated between locations that are hiring.