March of Dimes - Overall good experience | Glassdoor

"Overall good experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great mission and promotion of work/life balance, especially for working moms.

Cons

Very insular - easy to get caught up in the MOD bubble (i.e. chapter, regional and national offic

Other Employee Reviews for March of Dimes

"Negative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Good Pay, pleasant co-workers, wonderful stated mission.

Cons

A Pittsburgh supervisor did not know who Jonas Salk was or the role the University of Pittsburgh played in the development of the March of Dimes polio vaccine. None of my supervisors could tell me what specific research the March of Dimes was funding in Pittsburgh -- it took me several months to find out myself. They should realize that many donors are not interested in supporting organizations that do not know their history or current funding. Most of the PA supervisors had backgrounds in sales and knew next to nothing about maternal and child health.

I was hired for a temporary position. When I was about 7 weeks away from ending my assignment with the March of Dimes I was hired by another PA nonprofit to work on improving public policy in order to provide better perinatal health care to incarcerated women in PA. Improving perinatal health care and preventing adverse birth outcomes is supposed to be the mission of the March of Dimes. The new job was supportive of my finishing my time at the March of Dimes. Yet when I asked to flex my time to take an occasional phone call or attend one meeting during my last 7 weeks I was fired by the PA state director for not "putting my full attention on the March of Dimes."

Then the PA March of Dimes insisted that I had voluntarily quit and not been fired when sending communications to the national office. In short, they lied about what they did.

Advice to Management

At one time the March of Dimes was a great organization which did much for the public good. Now the atmosphere is only about raising money. Only one employee of dozens throughout the state does any kind of educational or public policy work. Many potential donors realize this. The March of Dimes needs to pay attention to its mission again, be collaborative with other organizations who truly work to improve perinatal health, and educate its staff better. In short, it needs to quit making fund raising an end to itself.

2. "Rewarding"

Current Employee - March of Dimes Family Team Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - March of Dimes Family Team Specialist in Arlington, VA

Pros

It is a valued organization

Cons

It is very demanding work force

Advice to Management

It is very team motivatied