March of Dimes - Lots of heart, but not a lot of qualified management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for March of Dimes

"Lots of heart, but not a lot of qualified management"

Current Employee - Campaign Coordinator
Current Employee - Campaign Coordinator

I have been working at March of Dimes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good cause. Employees really want to make a difference. Really great people to work with. I loved working with all of the incredible parents who do so much to help March of Dimes.

Cons

Upper management is too focused on numbers. They are not cultivating good relationships with many of their donors and even their employees for the sake of reaching unrealistic fundraising goals.

Advice to Management

Management pushes their employees to reach unrealistic goals. There were several instances where local employees knew that the goals were unrealistic, but the management forced them to pursue those goals and then punished the employees for not reaching them. Management is hurting employees and donors by acting out of desperation for funds, rather than investing long-term in cultivating relationships and patiently working to grow relationships with family and corporate donors. A little care now could result in committed, consistent future donors.

Other Employee Reviews for March of Dimes

"Great director, less than great corporate culture from national office."

Current Employee - Community Director
    Current Employee - Community Director

I have been working at March of Dimes full-time

Pros

My immediate supervisor is amazing. Super supportive, flexible, fun, absolutely great. I really like a lot of my volunteers. We are able to have a really casual, friendly relationship instead of feeling like I'm always trying to sell them magic beans.

Cons

The policies at the national level set the peons up for failure a lot of the time. They are very concerned with money and sometimes worry about that more than retaining supporters. It can really frustrating , especially when it alienates volunteers.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to squeeze revenue out of absolutely everything. There are some events that should just be goodwill events to increase our exposure in the community. Stop making your employees feel like really underpaid encyclopedia salesmen.

2. "Great Mission . . . But Chapter Leadership Micromanaging Too Much"

Pros

Use of technology and ample training helps newcomers learn core standards and best practices. Most team members feel real passion for the mission of stronger, healthier babies.

Cons

High employee turn-over impacting the ability of organization to achieve real and sustainable fundraising growth. Very limited administrative support places extreme pressure on fundraisers to "do it all" (data entry/marketing/communications/event management) when focus should be on developing and growing donor/sponsor partnerships.

Advice to Management

Chapter Leadership team should limit "hands-on" direction to Division staff in order to curb contradictory messages. Currently there are too many layers of "management" and community fundraisers are unclear to who they are taking direction from. Organizational structure should be reviewed and job descriptions revised.