Marcum LLP - Some good people does make a great firm | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Marcum LLP

"Some good people does make a great firm"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Northeast, NY
Former Employee - Supervisor in Northeast, NY

I worked at Marcum LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a rapidly changing firm. they have locations around country and their presence is expanding. they have a good reputation in tax and other areas.

Cons

Lots of employee turnover at junior levels. It has a mediocre reputation in the industry. Leadership is not moving the needle to eradicate or change this state.

Advice to Management

create a higher esprit de corp. firm culture is not clearly identifiable. strive for excellence.

Other Employee Reviews for Marcum LLP

1. "Assistant Mailroom Clerk"

Former Employee - Mailroom Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Mailroom Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Marcum LLP part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly professional and hard working people
    Always work to do to keep yourself busy
    Company outings

Cons

Some management demand their things to be done ahead of others during busy season
    A couple of rude staff members
    Very low raises, if any

"Terrible management in the IT department. Does anyone at Marcum notice?"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Melville, NY

I worked at Marcum LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The firm as a whole seemed like an ok place to work outside of the IT department. It was by far the most miserable career experience of my life due to bad management, absent leadership and highly unprofessional conduct by the people Marcum pays to head their IT department.

Cons

As for the Cons, where do I begin?
    Fortunately for me, I was there for a little less than 1 year. Soon after I started working there, strangely I was told by IT management not to talk to certain team members who eventually quit before I did. I wonder why they didn't want team members talking to each other? In truth I really didn't need to talk to anyone as I knew very early on the problems stemmed from bad management.

There was no genuine appreciation and or compensation for the long hours, nights, holidays and weekends given up to work on projects that were poorly managed and planned . Then if there were any problems, management would lie about certain events and point the blame to their own staff to cover their mistakes. The team if you could even call it a "team" had very low morale. Not to mention participation in a 24/7 on call rotation that was heavily micro-managed and every event "big or small" was treated as a severity 1 high priority issue.

As far as career development - The Engineering team was told that training was only given if you deserved it and if you asked for training it was held against you at review. So basically no one received training of any kind (formal or informal) and it was conveyed that you should use your own time and money to enhance your knowledge of their systems. There are many problems with that philosophy but the biggest oversight is having your Engineering team work on average (60 to 70 hours per week) with no bonuses or comp days and then to expect them to use their personal time for training is just plain shortsighted as well as leading to the above mentioned low morale and high turnover.

About the high turnover - more than 75% of the IT Engineering staff had been there less than 6 months when I started and before I left some of them were even working on leaving too. I found out that they had been through at least 4 complete IT teams in 3 years and everyone eventually left, yet they kept the same small management group. When I left, there was not one person in the Engineering Dept. that had been there for longer than 1 year.

Advice to Management

Having a revolving door employment environment for certain departments in a company might not be so bad but if your IT department is a revolving door, it's a critical business failure. The Marcum Senior Partners need to realize that their IT management problems cost them a lot of money in the long run. Mainly in the form of high turnover of IT staff which leads to, IT head hunting fees for the many new hires that get cycled through each year, having projects "sit on the shelf" because you do not have the people to get the work done and having to overpay IT new hires just to deal with the horrible working conditions created by inept manamgment. Unless Human Resources gets together with the Senior Partners to discuss the IT management problems and to possibly change the leadership of the IT Dept., I would highly recommend that all IT professionals stay away from this company.