Marcus & Millichap - We have the best investment sales platform in the business. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Marcus & Millichap

"We have the best investment sales platform in the business."

Current Contractor - Associate Broker in New York, NY
Current Contractor - Associate Broker in New York, NY

I have been working at Marcus & Millichap as a contractor

Pros

Great training program, non-compete management, a nice balance of independence and structure, and we just got company wide PPO health care that Brokers can buy into! Huge!

Cons

If you're a broker, you eat what you kill... Platform encourages sharing of information and resources, but it sometimes complicates relationships in and outside of the office... Lots of politics, but that's everywhere...

Other Employee Reviews for Marcus & Millichap

1. "Overall, good learning experience."

I worked at Marcus & Millichap part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees in my department were easygoing and willing to help.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to deal with managers and agents, but they did show appreciation.

"Work here for a year, then move on to a other firm."

Former Employee - Broker in West Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Broker in West Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Marcus & Millichap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gives you experience working in a brokerage environment and dealing with some unsavory clients and fellow brokers.

Cons

Terrible reputation in the industry, but no one will tell you that when you are being hired. The firm teaches you to not interact with agents from other firms because the firm wants to "double end" every deal even if it isnt in the best benefit to your client. You are 100 percent better off working for a boutique firm whose agents havent already cold called everyone already. Working at M&M will ruin your reputation with owners before you get a chance to build any rapport. Everytime I went to a company-wide sales meeting, it felt like amateur hour. 90 percent of the agents shouldnt have been hired and dont know the principles of commercial real estate. They only know how to cold call. If you are dealing with other peoples multilmillion dollar investments, you should know more about the principles of commercial real estate investing rather than just reading a manual in training.

Advice to Management

Get rid of half of your 1100 agents. Half of them are not working on a single deal and it waters down "the brand" that you speak so highly of.

Your training program consists of hiring as many people as your can with the intention of keeping 1 that happens to be related to a developer so they can bring in deals. Just like cold calling, Marcus and Millichap Management plays the numbers game in hiring. Its a horrible strategy which gives the firm a bad reputation among owners and especially among the brokerage community.