Maricopa County Community College District - Communism is alive in Tempe | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Maricopa County Community College District

"Communism is alive in Tempe"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Pros

Being that this is a school we get plenty of time off. However, you're always on call. So, I've been on call for over a decade.

Cons

Where to start? I have worked in a "hostile work environment" for countless years. Those are HR's words, not mine. Did getting HR involved fix anything? No, they sent me back to my chain of command where the conversation went something like: "You don't care that they're being abusive to their employees?" Response: "They're your chain of command." That was the last time a tried the "proper" channels to help with the problems.

Before I posted anything to this site I read some of the other reviews. You have to keep in mind we have over 10000 employees and 13 or 14 campuses. People that have put positive words down are from the teaching side of things or temps. Anybody that has had to work through the District Office can attest that it is nothing more than a working example of communism in the USA. The first time I every heard the term FUMU was here. For those that don't know FUMU = F*(^% UP MOVE UP. See it's pretty hard to fire someone, so the procedure is to trade a campus for someone they don't want anymore and we pawn our "bad" employee on them.

Message to the campuses:
There are many of us at District that want to help you and provide the best service we can for you, but management, red tape, and/or work load prevents that.

Advice to Management

Actually CARE about your employees. Don't remind them that your just going to outsource every project. Get them training, every year, on something. Make all supervisors go through Navigation Maricopa(Management training program). Take internal surveys to see what's going on.

Other Employee Reviews for Maricopa County Community College District

1. "No Comment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Option to work during the summer for more compensation.
    9-month salary

Cons

You will be treated like dirt when starting in your position.
    Big egos from senior people.

Advice to Management

Value the people you have who truly enjoy teaching.

"Beware"

Pros

The best reason to work at Maricopa is so that you can get the educational benefits so you can move somewhere else!

Cons

The IT department for the entire district is stuck in the dark ages. All technical positions are classified as management so when they ask you to work nights and weekends, management can point to the staff manual that says "must work a minimum of 40 hours a week". If they had to pay overtime, MCCD would go out of business. The abuse is terrible, you become an indentured servant. If you speak up, you are labeled a bad employee. Very few managers have any idea how an IT department functions in the real world and the ones that do and speak up are bad mouthed. Employees move from one crisis to another even when management has been warned previously of disasters looming. The colleges we support are not told the truth about incidents, that most are caused by bad planning at a higher level so IT workers continue to be scapegoats. I have never met a more dedicated group of people, who work to support the innocent victims, the students, despite the abuse, backstabbing and verbal abuse of their managers.

Maricopa IT department used to be leading edge but to the people who work here it's just a living hell.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the number of people that are leaving IT. There is no cross training and very little documentation so the knowledge leaves with the employee. Using smoke and mirrors only works for so long.....