"Solid company, bright future, but pivot needs to complete"

5.0
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart People Reasonable work/life balance Real opportunity - you can do whatever you step up to do

Cons

The cloud integration pivot is not complete. Will update this in 6-12 mos.

Continue reading

"Great work environment"

5.0
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time for more than a year

Pros

A great workplace that fosters collaboration and community. Passionate people who love what they do and stand by the product. Free food. Office pups. Flexibility to work from home when needed.

Cons

The commute - but we can blame the Bay Area for that.

2. COVID-19

"Things are shaky"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This has easily been the best job of my career so far. The standard for hiring has always been high and it really shows. Everyone is intelligent, approaches problems without ego, and there's a very strong culture of mutual aid where others across the company will rush in to help if you're dealing with a difficult issue. Middle management strikes an almost impossibly perfect balance between guiding you to larger objectives while not meddling in the small details of your day to day work. There's a large amount of trust throughout the organization that everyone is capable and doing their part. Compensation is competitive and there's realistic opportunities for career growth for those who want it- but those who are satisfied with where they are aren't sidelined either. The focus on customer success here is real and genuine. No one here is happy unless the customer is happy. Fortunately being able to rely on such a solid product and team makes this an easy circuit to close.

Cons

Now comes the ugly. Things have been getting rougher and rougher each year. MarkLogic is without a doubt the best tech out there but it's also incredibly difficult to sell and our (lazier) customers find it difficult to use. We can tell them that they need to take our training and actually read our documentation until we're blue in the face but the simple fact of the matter is many would rather retreat to the comfortable relational databases they're used to rather than putting in the intellectual investment in improving. More and more it's been feeling like we're on thin ice as a company and now that COVID has hit it's only gotten worse. Everyone has been united in building additional tools around the platform to make adoption easier for customers but the fact of the matter is that there isn't enough manpower to handle everything. Our cloud offerings seem to be catching on- which is a relief- but to us on the ground it feels like this is a desperate last push to come out ahead with a viable business model. Again- I want to emphasize that our tech is easily the best in the industry. But unfortunately that isn't enough. I've been seeing a lot of very talented people get the cut lately which makes me feel like our climb out of this is getting steeper and steeper with each month. I hope things turn around. This company really should succeed.

Continue reading

MarkLogic Response

August 7, 2020CEO

I appreciate your candor and am happy to read your assessment that MarkLogic is extremely customer success focused. It’s something everyone in the company takes great pride in and we receive endless compliments from our customers on this attribute of our business and culture. As part of this, we also have aligned our business to where our customers are going - - the cloud. This has led to significant innovation as we delivered our fully managed cloud service – MarkLogic Data Hub Service. I can understand how a pivot like this may appear a certain way, but in reality, it’s a very strategic move designed to highlight the best and most groundbreaking aspects of – you said it – our “best in the industry” tech – and make it available the way customers plan to consume it. It was a move that not only made the most sense in terms of where the industry is headed, but also put us even further ahead of competitors. I acknowledge that some of the effects of a pivot like that are unfortunate, but we owe it to our customers and employees to morph our business model to go with the shift in how we deliver our technology. COVID has brought about its own set of challenges, however we have kept productivity very high and continue to deliver the technology and customer success that we are known for. Change can be unsettling and make things feel “shaky”, but the status quo is the biggest risk technology companies face. Hard work – yes, stressful – yes, a bit unsettling for employees – yes, but absolutely necessary. We are all learning to get comfortable being uncomfortable and focusing on completing this pivot while keeping our customer satisfaction in the “best-in-class” territory.

Discover more reviews about MarkLogic.