Market America - Very Rewarding and Challenging | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Market America

"Very Rewarding and Challenging"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Greensboro, NC
Current Employee - Project Manager in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awards people who love their profession and can execute on it. Great place to work for a person with a Entrepreneurial spirit. Alot of opportunity for growth because the company is still growing. I would recommend this company to my friends for sure.

Cons

Nothing of real importance from my stand point

Other Employee Reviews for Market America

"Company, especially engineering, has low morale"

Current Employee - Engineering in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Engineering in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time

Pros

It would be more helpful to you if you read the Cons first. Knowing how low morale is at the company, the directors have called in the development teams to a meeting, and told us that they are aware of it. They said they would meet with all of us one by one, to discuss what we would like to see changed. I am glad to know that they are making an effort. I am not sure whether there will be changes.

There used to be an issue regarding directors being unwilling to even consider developers' ideas for new applications or different processes that would help the department, or help out in some particular way. Thankfully, this hasn't been as much of a problem in the past year or so.

Cons

There is a strong component of favoritism. When you hear several people here complaining about this problem, it does not mean that those people really just are not doing well at their jobs. This assumption is completely false. There is also an unfortunate component of bullying and rumors, and this (as well as buddy-buddy) seems to be part of what has led to the favoritism. All of this together make some lives, career paths, and opportunities there pretty horrible and bleak. Yet, when you truly evaluate the skills of some of these people, you find that they are highly skilled and more capable of just what they are being limited to. There is not much training to speak of, currently, and everything is prescribed down from the top. The department operates in a very hierarchical way - you must get permission for everything, no matter what. You are limited to only the technologies the company uses, and there's a little room for suggestions, but not as much as their should be. So, you just can't really grow technology wise. I get the impression that you are also just assumed to have no skills outside of the ones you use at the company and at the level they let you use them at, for some reason. Any internal training we've had in the past is always at a beginner level, and yet, several of us should be taking more advanced training. If you want to grow, you've either got to find a new full time job, or work part time contract. Company growth wise, as it stands currently, people just find themselves maxed out at maybe one position up from what they came in as, and that's it.

Some of the PM's are just bad, in that they don't show appreciation for their team, and they are highly stressful. However, others are much better. Overall, there is a problem where the company just doesn't seem to recognize our skills, abilities, and efforts. If they do, they just don't really tell us throughout the work days. It would help if you just tell us once in a while! Show some real appreciation somehow! Get creative with your efforts to show us. I recall getting reviews in years past that with high marks, which came as a bit of a shock, because I just didn't get much of an impression from the company that they actually valued me. And, I would find myself being treated as though I had no skills, and was given little respect, from some of my co-workers. There are some very difficult people to work with there, unfortunately. There is also a lot of blame tossing. This too, may affect how management sees you, if these people go to management and start telling them false information.

Code reviews are very, very strict. I appreciate the fact that they are needed (anywhere), but too much of it limits creativity, and keeps you thinking in even more of restricted box for your code.

Reviews tend to be fair, but can be off in ways, all depending on who it is the director speaks to about you, which again comes down to favoritism, that person just not really having any experience with you regarding an item they are being asked about, and/or simply misunderstandings. Reviews should really have more of a peer based component, with multiple people you've worked directly with. The more that are involved, the more clear the picture becomes. Also, we should be given an opportunity every year during these reviews to answer a director's question "What can we do better?" and "What are we doing right?"

Raises come 3 to 9 months late, and are fairly low.

Lastly, they have brought architects back into everyone's projects a lot more. The reason for this, we were not told about. It honestly partly feels like a slap in the face, and leads to a feeling like personal and professional growth is just heading backwards.

The department currently has very low morale. There is no way of disputing this fact, and the directors know this.

2. "Good company to start with"

Current Employee - ColdFusion Web Developer
    Current Employee - ColdFusion Web Developer

I have been working at Market America full-time

Pros

Good place to work. Great opportunity to learn. They're patient working with ppl with less experience and are good to help you along.

Cons

Nothing no other company wouldn't have.