Marketo - Fast paced environment with lots of good challenges | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Marketo

"Fast paced environment with lots of good challenges"

Current Contractor - Staffing Consultant in San Mateo, CA
Current Contractor - Staffing Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Marketo as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Marketo is growing like wildfire which gives employees great career growth options.

Cons

Open office environment. Can be distracting at times. Communication from management is spotty

Advice to Management

Better downward communication making employees more involved

Other Employee Reviews for Marketo

"Culture is perfect for anyone under 29 and/or unmarried with no kids. Sales review."

Former Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Marketo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are getting started in sales, this would be good. They built a lot of structure, they want a process followed and they will give you a one day training once a quarter (which in my sales experience is a big investment compared to the other firms where I worked). The managers are under a tremendous amount of pressure and watching how each deals with the intensity is a lesson. Your work colleagues tend to be a combination of bright or aggressive. For the most part, you get to see how they "make the hot dogs" from marketing to sales. This isn't Oracle but if you want a regimented way to learn a SaaS technology, you could do worse.

Cons

If you were my friend and work in sales, I would not recommend it to you. I would not recommend it because: work/life balance, C-level views their structure with blinders on (the system feeds you leads that you then close. but what if the system doesn't feed enough leads?) and the original people from the start up days continue to get promoted. They have tried to erase the fraternity feel of the place by hiring more women but waiting (together) for the last 12k deal to close at 8:30PM at the end of each month is stupid and feels like a waste of time. Another piece of context is that they are always looking to get cheaper. If you come with some experience and you are used to making a salary of at least 70k, you will have a very short leash. Finally, check out how often senior management sell their shares.

Advice to Management

Continue to get yours, management. Everytime you cash out another chunk of shares, I laugh because of how little you value your "baby".

"Growing Fast"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Marketo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great Opportunities to learn. Great resume builder.
     - Equity value is good
     - Location is good for large % of Bay Area

Cons

- Pace can be overwhelming
     - There is some 'Ready, Fire, Aim' in the culture
     - Meanness isn't discouraged as much as it should be.
     - Your development will be your own responsibility

Advice to Management

- Increase hiring to manage workload/growth/turnover
    - Public shaming isn't a good leadership technique. Keep constructive feedback, or opinions about people performance private.