Markit On Demand - Work with great people but an increasingly corporate process | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Markit On Demand

"Work with great people but an increasingly corporate process"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Markit On Demand full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone who works here is incredibly nice.

The deadlines are realistic, and I've never been expected to work overtime.

The C++ code base is good considering its age

For the most part, we can use whatever tools we want to get the job done.

Merit-based culture. If a new person has a good idea, the high-ups will listen.

Cons

Things take a very long time to happen. We still have some things in Visual Source Safe and people on Windows XP who have been promised Windows 7 for a long time, which is preventing us from moving forward on other important technologies.

We are increasingly getting more process added to our daily work. We have two ticketing systems to track the same things, we have to talk to a dozen different teams to get something tested, and often it feels like you have to play a corporate game to get things done rather than doing real work. I am a software engineer but I do not get to spend nearly enough time writing code.

Because of the increased process, it seems like it is easier for senior management to ignore things that will be a problem until they actually become a problem, because then we have our line-item justification to fix it.

Advice to Management

Focus on removing process that just exists because you think it should. At a certain point, time spent tracking time becomes significant and outweighs any benefits.

Other Employee Reviews for Markit On Demand

1. "A good place to learn..."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Markit On Demand full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some very interesting and smart people working here. You will have the opportunity to learn a lot in a short period of time. The multitude of projects means the job is rarely boring.

Cons

Expect many distractions in the office!

Advice to Management

Be more rigorous in who you choose for manager/team lead. Before making a final decision, seek input from those who work with the candidate every day. This will help you hold on to your engineers during a transition.

2. "Good career growth opportunity from the start, but rather tumultuous management decisions"

I worked at Markit On Demand full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility and autonomy is offered to a decent extent, in that there are no rigid rules to follow and thus, there is room to succeed and implement a better way of doing something.
    Smart people to work with and most have a can-do attitude.

Cons

Management decisions seem fairly reactionary and short-term. They can even at times come across as flippant with options proposed and then undecided.
    Company is looking to grow and expand globally, but struggles at operating outside of their North American world, as it seems somewhat ingrained and local/closed focus, given the preferred lifestyle in Colorado.