Markit - Good place to gain experience, but don't linger too long | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Markit

"Good place to gain experience, but don't linger too long"

Former Employee - Designer in Boulder, CO
Former Employee - Designer in Boulder, CO

Pros

- Learn a lot about finance
- Really nice people mostly
- Location is great
- Yoga class, massage sometimes, they send gifts for special occasions, some decent food stocked in the kitchen

Some of the people I worked with seemed visionary, talented and genuinely caring about their work.

Cons

- Noisy environment
- Repetetive work
- Lots of chaos and shuffling around of employees
- Poor communication from team leads
- High turnover
- Disconnect between what senior management says and what they actually do

WSOD changed for the worse in 2008. People began mysteriously disappearing from their desks without explanation, all the while senior management claimed that they would not have any layoffs. I was terminated within two months of receiving a great performance review. They gave me a 6 week timeframe to "shape up" my design skills, and I soon realized that it was a ruse - that no matter what I did they were going to fire me. I realize that companies need to clean house, but this came as a shock to me nonetheless.

Advice to Management

- Be more explicit about expectations of employees
- Keep teams lean and mean, don't shift project managers midway through a project
- I felt so sorry for all project managers because they seemed underappreciated, underpaid and extremely low morale on that team
- Don't shuffle employees around so often, it's jarring and unexpected and makes people jittery.

Other Employee Reviews for Markit

"Good People, But low salary and benefits"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Boulder, CO

Pros

It's a good place to learn things if you are newbie and money is not your primary motive. People in general helpful and nice.

Cons

Low salary package and benefits. 50 hrs/week and unreasonable deadlines made by the management. Salary is almost 30% less then that of current market trend.

Advice to Management

Please reward your employees. High attrition rate, can't able to retain potential good future prospectus. Decision should be made in open rather than in close door.

"Cool projects, smart people, really stressful"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Boulder, CO

Pros

You learn a ton at WSOD and work with some amazing clients. The coworkers are really smart.

Cons

Stressful environment- everything is an emergency. Project managers seem to take the fall for most problems- lots of firings. Project managers are supposed to lead engineering teams, but the engineers do not answer to the PMs so they do not have enough authority.

Advice to Management

Project Managers need to have more authority with the engineers if the are going to take the fall for problems.