Markit - Interesting work and good people | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Markit

"Interesting work and good people"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

Markit is in some nice growth areas and it is a good place to learn the market.

Cons

Markit is in so many different businesses, it is difficult to have too much focus in one place. No 401k match and use stock options instead. Problem is they vest over five years so no matter when you leave, you will lose a good portion of your options.

Advice to Management

Match the 401k and loosen the restrictions on the stock options. Either appreciate the people you have or find people you can appreciate.

Other Employee Reviews for Markit

"Short term focused."

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

Unique product offering.
    Well regarded by clients.
    Autonomy.

Cons

Lack of direction.
    Poor communication by senior management.
    Tactical decisions making.

"Don't Walk... RUN!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Pros

Big Name Clients - JPMorgan, Schwab, Scottrade, Bloomberg, etc.

Cutting Edge Tech - iPhone, Android, and iPad Development

Boulder - Great place to live. Perfect for families.

Cons

Where to begin? Firstly all of the other reviews you've read speaking of a culture of fear, favoritism , and cliques are total understatements. I have held jobs at other companies and though they had their issues they didn't come close to the dysfunction displayed there on a daily basis. The people who work there are absolutely miserable, and why shouldn't they be?

1) The Pay - is on the lowest end of the spectrum. Probably the biggest single contributor to the constant attrition within these walls.

2) Your Boss - The few long timers are extremely condescending, elitist, and gossipy. Odds are one of them will wind up as your manager. Prepare for hypocrisy, conflicting directions in using their completely broken development process, and favoritism.

3) Perks - Extremely substandard benefits and flexibility. The claim they are a Green company is a total joke. Its called telecommuting geniuses. Some of my colleagues lived as far away as Castle Rock and Estes Park and you waste tremendous resources having them unnecessarily come in every single day. I live in Boulder so coming in wasn't a big deal... except sometimes one of my kids was sick and that meant nothing to them. I still had to be there.

4) Workload - It's insanity. They over promise to their clients and you'll work 60 hours a week easy. People end up not taking their vacations due to veiled threats which adds yet more hostility and depression to this oppressive environment.

In summation? Keep looking. I'll never get back those two years I brought home anxiety and frustration to my family even when I wasn't an absentee husband and father.

Advice to Management

Raise the pay, be kinder to your employees, improve your training and replace managers that seem to need replacements constantly. The amount you'll save in retention and up time will more than make up for the extra cost.