Marriott International - Not bad, but not good | Glassdoor

"Not bad, but not good"

Former Employee - Night Auditor in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Night Auditor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is easy once you get used to it
The room rate discount, when it's actually available
You can count on getting hours and a check if you're full time status (Reliable)

Cons

-NO opportunity for advancement. NONE. They do not hire from within. Every job has to be posted and 9 times out of 10 they bring in someone from another hotel that upper management is familiar with. Promoting from within the property DOES NOT HAPPEN.
-Benefits are a joke compared to most other companies; health insurance is $250 for just me at 25 with no existing conditions and no tobacco. I needed an MRI scan done and they didn't even cover that. It's nice to say that you offer benefits on paper, but I can go to BlueCross and BlueShield and get coverage for $50 a month just paying out of pocket. It's also better insurance.
-In the past few years they have cut staff ridiculously. At the select service properties in our area, we don't even have housekeeping supervisors/management. The AGM or Operations Manager controls that along with the desk. This leads to no morale within that department and stress on the desk due to improper room conditions. They staff the hotel as short as possible leaving busy weekends (even convention weekends) with nothing but 1 front desk agent in the hotel. Occupancy hasn't changed, and rates have gone up. If anything, occupancy is higher. The economy cannot be blamed.
-The way Marriott budgets per occupied room is RIDICULOUS. Reformat the budgeting structure.

Advice to Management

Promote from within and you'll have some good, dedicated employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Marriott International

1. "Love it!"

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Marriott International part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work with the best staff. My boss has a wonderful way of hiring the right people. We are a small hotel and we are like a family. We are all team players and wear many hats for the betterment of the hotel and our guests.

Love the perks!

Cons

I wish the pay was higher.

Advice to Management

Get an updated system. Still on FOSSE (dos)

"Great place to work - as long as you are not in IT"

Current Employee - Technical in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Technical in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Marriott International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall, good place. Most management is pretty decent.

Cons

New CIO is planning to outsource most of IT... so morale is in the toilet if you work in that area. Very difficult to advance unless you change roles. If you meet IRS' definition of HCE 401K contributions limited to 4-5%.