Marriott International - Excellent company to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Marriott International

"Excellent company to work for"

Former Employee - Director in Bethesda, MD
Former Employee - Director in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits. Opportunities for additional training programs to enhance current position as well as to develop yourself for the next step. Annual performance evaluations. Nice people to work with. Comfortable working environment. Great reputation. Proud associates.

Cons

At headquarters, there are constant reorganizations and turmoil going on somewhere in the building which is unsettling and difficult not only for that dept., but for those around it and who have friends impacted by the upheaval. It is not good for morale. It seems a lot of long-term associates and older workers are targeted; it's the company's way of getting rid of good people with high salaries when there is no just cause. They just reorganize and make everyone re-apply for a "new" position. Also a lot of sr management don't really do anything and you wonder why they are still there when so many truly good people who work hard and make valuable contributions are cast aside. Long hours. Lots of stress. Many say the company, sadly, isn't what it used to be.

Advice to Management

There are too many people managing others who shouldn't be because they don't have the skills, the temperament or the experience to do it well. A bad manager can make for a lot of disgruntled workers, impair productivity and damage morale. More should be done to make managers accountable for poor results on associate opinion surveys. Survey results are shared in departmental staff meetings so the obvious problems are confirmed, but nothing is done to improve or correct them. That makes morale even worse. Employees don't trust the confidentiality of the surveys so they inflate their responses, especially when their bonus is directly tied to results.

Other Employee Reviews for Marriott International

1. "I learned a lot but the pay was bad"

Former Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Orlando, FL

I worked at Marriott International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training
    They treat their employees very well for the most part
    They value their guest and that brings happy and returning guests all the time

Cons

Pay was very low, I was getting paid the same as when I worked as a sales rep but I had 10.000 more responsibilities.

Early hours or late hours, but that was part of the position, I mean the front desk times are like that everywhere, there s no " 9 to 5 front desk"

Since it wasn a full service property I had to do duties from other departments than when you work at a full time Marriott you don t have to do...

Advice to Management

They should propose a salary raise and the yearly raise should be higher to motivate their employees to stay with the company.

2. "Loved it"

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Manager in Coralville, IA
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage Manager in Coralville, IA

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everything. Great company to work for!

Cons

Some "hoops" to jump through...

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Don't be afraid to go "outside" the company for talent!