Marriott International - good company | Glassdoor

"good company"

Former Employee - Banquet Food Server in Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Banquet Food Server in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. they treat you right if you work hard.

Cons

Low wages. employees are encouraged to work "part time" but are given full time hours so as not to be given benefits.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work!

Other Employee Reviews for Marriott International

"Terrible management"

Former Employee - Bartender in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Bartender in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely loved my co-workers and I really enjoyed my job as it was.

Cons

Over worked. My manager promised me to work my schedule around my college courses, then constantly asked me to skip classes to work. Management does not care about the staff, they just want good scores. Often times coworkers would know before the employee about a wrongdoing.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate with staff directly.

"Excellent company to work for"

Former Employee - Director in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Director in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits. Opportunities for additional training programs to enhance current position as well as to develop yourself for the next step. Annual performance evaluations. Nice people to work with. Comfortable working environment. Great reputation. Proud associates.

Cons

At headquarters, there are constant reorganizations and turmoil going on somewhere in the building which is unsettling and difficult not only for that dept., but for those around it and who have friends impacted by the upheaval. It is not good for morale. It seems a lot of long-term associates and older workers are targeted; it's the company's way of getting rid of good people with high salaries when there is no just cause. They just reorganize and make everyone re-apply for a "new" position. Also a lot of sr management don't really do anything and you wonder why they are still there when so many truly good people who work hard and make valuable contributions are cast aside. Long hours. Lots of stress. Many say the company, sadly, isn't what it used to be.

Advice to Management

There are too many people managing others who shouldn't be because they don't have the skills, the temperament or the experience to do it well. A bad manager can make for a lot of disgruntled workers, impair productivity and damage morale. More should be done to make managers accountable for poor results on associate opinion surveys. Survey results are shared in departmental staff meetings so the obvious problems are confirmed, but nothing is done to improve or correct them. That makes morale even worse. Employees don't trust the confidentiality of the surveys so they inflate their responses, especially when their bonus is directly tied to results.