Marriott International - Interview | Glassdoor

"Interview"

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Marriott International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I did get to learn a lot about the industry; i got first hand seating at board meetings and certain perks

Cons

Can't say there is much opportunity for advancement after working there for 6 months for free. They sure did milk me for everything that I was worth though.

Other Employee Reviews for Marriott International

1. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Server in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Server in Orlando, FL

I worked at Marriott International part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in the Fine Dining and Bar area at the Marriott. My manager was one of the sweetest people to work under. HR were very helpful. Hotel benefits were awesome, if you wanted to go on vacation and use your Marriott discount. Mr. Marriott will come in and greet his employees once a year or so, very nice and genuine person. We had an awesome GM that was always in a good mood.

Cons

I was sad when another hotel brand bought the hotel, had it not been for school, I would have transferred to another Marriott hotel. After a the hotel changed its name, the GM was replaced and the hotel went down after that.

Advice to Management

None

"Positive all around experience, but limited career growth opportunities."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Marriott International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great travel benefits. The people I've encountered have been genuinely passionate about what they do everyday and it reflects both in their approach to work as well as their everyday lives outside of the hotel.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities unless you're willing to relocate every couple of years. Senior leadership tends to get comfortable once they land in a desirable location, so you have to constantly move where the next level of opportunities are (domestically or internationally). Relocating every couple of years is not a viable option for everyone.

Advice to Management

Allowing multiple department heads to remain in the same hotel, running the same department for 20+ years is not conducive to the type of innovation and creative thinking that is going to foster and create the next generation of leadership.