Marriott International - Proud to work for Marriott | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Marriott International

"Proud to work for Marriott"

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Orlando, FL

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I Loved working for this company. I was sad to see my position eliminated due to corporate reorganization in June of 2011.

Cons

Corporate restructuring led me to lose my position after 15 years with the company. It was sad and unfortunate to have to start over elsewhere after 15 years.

Other Employee Reviews for Marriott International

"Terrible for IT work as of last year, and getting worse"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Marriott International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cheap hotel deals, when available, are a great benefit (only for permanent employees). Comfortable office building. Tries to be green, if you like that kind of stuff. Traces of corporate loyalty remain, but that's changing fast, so hurry up to enjoy it. They have money to burn on nice HQ facilities, which is nice for us who are there. Company makes good profits, so great bennies and pay for upper management if that's where you're looking to work.

Cons

IT outsourcing is well underway. Beware if you are IT contracting; they might tell you it's "just a re-org", but IT employees are being rebadged with outsourcers later this year, or (mostly) just sacked, with only a handful left to oversee the outsourced services, and IT contractors have no idea what's coming. Outside of IT, seems OK, so long as you watch for the next benefit cut; they do this to some random thing every year or so. Other IT shops in DC Metro often pay much better. Absolutely, totally would never recommend this place right now to an IT friend unless s/he is desperate and willing to work a rapacious contract but with an unknown future.

Advice to Management

Too late for advice other than how to pick up the wreckage. You sure picked the wrong guys to run this. Get some good lawyers to deal with your outsourcers later. Get a good PR firm to deal with the fallout from random IT failures that are coming.

"Good company, fair pay"

Former Employee - Reservations Sales Home Agent in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Reservations Sales Home Agent in Omaha, NE

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good work environment; chance to work from home; many benefits including hotel discounts. You don't have bosses breathing down your back, and it is easy to get a good schedule with good performance and some seniority.

Cons

The pay is not enough to support a household. They want you to work overtime when you least want to work (summer, holidays, etc.). They encourage you to take time off when you need to work the most. You must maintain 92 percent of your work time on the phones, and your breaks must adhere to strict schedules.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the "Guaranteed Fair Treatment" policy and cut some slack to long-term employees with great service records.. The GTF policy treats good and bad workers equally.